execution errors without codes

I am running scripted Express backups on OS 9. There are a number of files in each script that NEVER back up. Contrary to the instructions in Retrospect's Help, there is NOT an error code associated with these errors when I go to the log. I have used Retrospect since 1992, though I have just repurchased the program after a 3 year absence. In the past, I found the program easy to use and errors clearly defined, so I'm not sure what my problem is here. Below is an example of what I see in the execution errors window:

- 3/26/2002 5:15:19 PM: Copying CarolFiles on Disk

3/26/2002 5:15:26 PM: Comparing CarolFiles on Disk

3/26/2002 5:15:26 PM: Execution completed successfully

Remaining: 15 files, 2558 KB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB, with 1% compression

Performance: 29.9 MB/minute (29.9 copy, 0.0 compare)

Duration: 00:00:07 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

There are no red arrows in the errors window, and no messages such as "disk full" etc. I'm at wits end - the number of files that are not getting backed up is growing, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the types of files or the locations that are problematic. I run 5 different scripts, and I experience similar errors in every script. Any help would be appreciated!!

Christalv,

I am experiencing similar issues with regard to execution errors. I have contacted Dantz technical support before on this specific issue and they were unable to provide any further insight. One solution that seems to work is to use a recycle backup instead of the incremental backup. However, we both realize this is not a feasible long-term solution because of the time constraints on backups.

I am curious though as to the potential similarities between our scripts. First, the use of multiple backup scripts to the same backup set and secondly, the possibility that you are backing up to a file backup rather than a media storage device. The only other possiblity that I could see is the use of Retrospect Desktop rather than the Express version, but I haven't been able to verify that this would work and am unwilling to spend the extra money on a license that won't necessarily work any better.

Let me know what you think or find out if you come across a solution.

juschmidt

Thanks for the insight - how disappointing that tech support was unable to support this problem! I actually have a separate backup set for each script, thanks to the 2.0 GB limit imposed on "backup to Macintosh file" scripts (this is another really annoying feature that I never had to deal with in the past, when I was backing up with removable media).

On my current system, I am backing up to a Snap hard drive on the network. Because of this, I'm forced to use the "file" method of backing up, and I'm not very satisfied with the performance of this method for reasons described above, plus the errors. I have not tried a "recycle" backup because of the time factor (and doesn't that kind of defeat the point of using backup software vs. copying everything over to another drive?) but I'll give that a try and see what happens.

I agree the recycle backup is not a very good long-term solution. Have you tried contacting tech support?

The other potential solution is using the Retrospect desktop versus the express version. There is a feature comparison of these products at the following link (http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=feature_comparison_mac) I seem to recall that the desktop version had better support for file backups, so I thought I would mention that to you. I guess Dantz does offer a free trial of the product so it might be worth our while to download the desktop version and see if it improves the execution errors.

I'll keep you posted if I have any success. Thanks.

Does this happen all the time?

If you select a small folder and back it up to a local file set does the same thing happen? If you then back it up to the server does it reproduce?

What OS are you running, exactly?