hard drive space

I am using retrospect express to back up to a 20 GB LaCie hard drive. Retrospect allocated the entire hard drive to backup data sets 01 - 010 but I only have a small amount of data so there are eight 1.99 GB data set files that are and probably always will be unused. I would like to be able to use my drive for other purposes but I cannot delete any of these data set files because they are locked. Is there a way to free up the drive for other purposes since I don't need that much backup space?

Absolutely! Because of the way your drive was formatted, and how the operating system sees it, Retrospect defaulted to creating a removable disk backup set, and thus reserved all the available space on the drive.

The best way to back up to a hard drive is to use a file backup set. Not only is this more reliable, but it will write data to a single file, and the rest of the space on your drive can be used for other purposes.

For details on how to set this up, please see our tutorials.