Different data size error

I use Retrospect Express v.4.3 (with the driver update) on a Mac 9600/300 upgraded with a NewerTech 400mhz G-3 card to duplicate my start-up disk to an external hard drive.I use a "run document."

At the conclusion of each duplication I get the following error message:

> Different data size (src: 473, dest: 413) for file “1nternal A:System Folder:Preferences:Retrospect:Operations Log”.

3/10/2002 7:48:05 PM: 1 execution errors

Completed: 326 files, 108.1 MB

Performance: 68.2 MB/minute (46.9 copy, 124.6 compare)

Duration: 00:03:17 (00:00:07 idle/loading/preparing)

The source and destination disks are each formatted for HFS+, but they have different capacities: (Source Disk - 4.23 GB Destination Disk - 4.03 GB)

Is this the cause of the error?

I doubt that it's a serious problem, but it annoys me.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no problem with your backup. Retrospect will report an error when comparing files if the file it's comparing the copied file to has changed. However, with Retrospect 4.2 or later, it writes to the log more often. This means the log file changes more often. Therefore Retrospect will report the log has grown between the time it copied and the time it compared.

This may be changed in a future release as it is an unexpected side effect of this feature addition.