Problem while Restoring

I am using Retrospect Express 4.3 on a Mac OS 9.0.4. I have made a backup set on Zip disks (11 disks total). When I try to 'restore files from a backup' it seems to be OK during data transfer from disk #1. But then it ejects disk #1 -- seemingly like it should ask for disk #2 in order to continue the restore -- but it asks for disk #1. When I insert disk #1, it hangs and I have to restart computer. I have also tried inserting disk #2, even though it is asking for #1, and the same thing happens. What is going wrong? It seems like a straightforward restore, so I'm not understanding what the problem is.

Note: I am backing up my files because I want to wipe my harddrive and then install OS X. In the instances above I am testing Retrospect and the backups on my current OS 9.0.4, so I can be sure that I will be able to restore my old data when I reformat the harddrive with OS X. So far, after many hours of trying to fix this, it is not working. What do I need to do to simply have a copy of my old files that I can put onto the harddrive when i've switched to OS X?

Thank you for your help,

Pete