Source=1.77gb: Backup=4.25gb!

I have just backed up for the first time a 1.77gb folder on to a clear 4.7 DVD-RAM disk. When I open this disk it contains the following:-

Disk contains 3 files

Retrospect Data 1.99gb

Retrospect Data 002 1.99gb

Retrospect Data 003 269.9mb

How does a 1.77 gb file occupy a total of over 4.25gbs when it is backed up for the first time. It means I have little space for future backups?

When Retrospect backs up to a removable disk, the first thing it does is write the data files that you see that essentially reserve the entire disk. This is to protect your data and prevent any damage that may occur by copying other data to the disk with other utilities (including the Finder).

While the Finder will see the disk as "full" and won't allow you to drag any files to it, the data files are most likely empty; check Retrospect's Configure -> Backup Sets window for the actual amount of space used on the disk.

If you do wish to store other data on the disk, use the option for a file backup set and save the file backup set to the DVD-RAM disk. This will not reserve the entire disk.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support