retrospect express no longer works after 9.2.2 up

Hi all,

since updating my computer to 9.2.2, retrospect express no longer works properly.. i think it has to do with the cd burning features in 9.2.2, as media either doesn't show up or shows up as locked. when i put a blank cd in my drive, the mac os mounts it on the desktop as a packet media or if i remove the packet media extension, as a cd-r or cd-rw. i updated toast so that it coexists with the new mac os features, but i can't figure out how to get retrospect to play nice.

thanks for the help.

matt

Hello All.

I'm running into exactly the same problem. I've updated the driver to 4.3, and even reloaded the program from scratch, along with the updates. Still nothing. Seems like it's happening to others as well. Perhaps Dantz is doing something about it, or at least can give some direction as to where to look for the culprit?

Thanks,

Rick

Well, that didn't work for me. I trashed the entire folder, all the preferences, and anything else I could find that said Retrospect on it. Still the "No backup devices found" error. Is there an extension that is conflicting here?

This really has me stumped. Any help would be most appreciated.

B&W G3 400, 768MB, 9.2.2, QPS 24x10x40 CDRW, Retrospect Express 4.3, Toast 5.0.2

TIA

Rick

I don't believe that we have qualified the 24x10x40 QPS drive yet. The internal mechanism is the key to determining whether or not a drive is supported by Retrospect. This information can be found in the Device Status window (Configure -> Devices).

For a list of supported and pending drives please see

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=cdr_info

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

There is info about MacIntosh Disc Burner, third party CD burners, and CD burning software conflicts at the following URLs. Installing updated drivers and software (available from manufacturers' website) for all related software and hardware (for example Roxio's Toast and Lacie's CD burner) may help too.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60805

http://www.apple.com/itunes/notes.html

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75106

(You may need to register with Apple to access these.)

The following is excerpted from one of the URLs above:

With FireWire and USB CD-RW drives, you may not be able to use third-party CD burning software after you install Disc Burner. Contact the manufacturer of the CD burning software for updates that resolve this problem.

If you have a USB or FireWire CD-RW drive and have installed other software that burns CDs, use Extensions Manager to turn off the extensions for the other software. See Mac Help, available in the Help menu, for information about using Extensions Manager.

If you have a USB or FireWire CD-RW drive and are experiencing problems using other CD burning software, use Extensions Manager to turn off the extension "USB Authoring Support" or "FireWire Authoring Support", as appropriate for your drive.

FireWire and USB CD-RW drives must be connected to a built-in port on your computer. Drives connected to expansion cards are not supported.

If burning a CD is unsuccessful and your external drive becomes unresponsive, turn its power off and on to reset the drive.

If you receive an out of memory error when burning a disc, increase the memory allocated to Disc Burner, or turn on virtual memory. See Mac Help, available in the Help menu, for information about managing memory.

Do not disconnect or turn off your external CD-RW drive after you have created a disc icon on the Desktop. Disc Burner will be unable to locate the drive.

QPS Que!Fire Drives - If your drive has a Plextor mechanism and you experience poor playback performance, you may need to update the drive's firmware. Contact QPS for information on upgrading to firmware version 1.0.7 or later.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if you're still struggling with this problem, but I ran into the exact same thing and I'm running OS 9.2.1. This is what I found:

1) There was an extension called: SDAP Authoring Support which had been turned off in the extensions manager. I don't know why.

2) For some reason, my external CD-R was no longer being recognized and that was because the driver: Que!Fire had been turned off in the extensions manager.

3) I updated Retrospect Express with the most recent driver and Extensions update.

Retrospect Express still saves the info. in a different way: the CD is mounted on the desktop (which it wasn't before) and is called "Packet Media". If I click on the mounted CD image, it shows that nothing is in it and it is locked. It doesn't seem to matter, it works - Retrospect Express is able to backup and restore, which, after all, is what I'm after. I think the key is the SDAP Authoring Support. I saw that listed on a post about a new iMac and Retrospect with OS 9.2.1 and I have an older G4 450, but I checked it out anyway and it worked!

I hope it works for you - Good luck!

- eric

• 2 months later...

DataDude,

I have a system similar to yours, and I just got a new Que! Fire CD-RW 24x10x40x drive as well. I am experiencing the same problem, which looks to be a *far* too common occurrence among Retrospect users.

Have you had any luck getting it to work? Have you heard back from anyone at Dantz?

BrickPetit

Amy,

Thanks for pointing that out; I did notice that already. I also noticed that Retrospect is qualified for Que! Fire CDRW drive at every lower speed, but not yet the 24x... model.

I must say that it's quite distressing to learn that Retrospect is qualified only for older, slower CDRW drives. When can we expect Dantz to qualify this drive?

Due to the nature of drive testing, it is not possible to predict when or if a drive will be qualified.

If we encouter a problem in the testing process that requires us to rewrite a driver, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If we run into a problem and we need to work with the vendor of the drive to help them implement standard packet-writing commands better and/or to write and release drivers, that can increase the time it takes for a device to be supported.

If a company switches out the mechanism of a drive or changes the specs without telling us, it needs to be requalified from scratch, which means one incarnation of a drive may be supported well before others.

This drive is in testing, still. Although we are trying hard to qualify it, please understand that not all drives will be qualified, and of those that are, some take a while. Yes it's frustrating. That's why we recommend that you check the compatibility list before making a purchase that may not immediately, or possibly ever, suit your backup needs.