I have an iMac DV SE, 400 MHz, with 128MB RAM, running OS 9.2.1. Up until now, I have been backing up with Retrospect Express 4.3 to an Iomega 250 MB USB Zip drive with no problems.

Since a few days ago, the computer hangs up in the middle of a recycle backup operation. Normally, during a backup, the green access light on the Zip drive is lit, since it is being accessed continuously. Now, at varying points in the backup, the access light goes out, and within seconds, the drive head deselects, leaving Retrospect Express hanging. Trying to stop the program by clicking the Stop button doesn’t work, as the program remains hung up. Doing a Force Quit by pressing Command-Option-Escape does stop the program, but then either choosing Restart from the Special menu or trying to eject the Zip disk freezes the computer, requiring a hard reset. This doesn’t always happen at the same time during the backup, but the end result is always the same.

Doing a backup to a Mac file on the hard drive works fine, with all extensions enabled. Using Conflict Catcher 8.1, I restarted the system with all extensions disabled except for the two required for Retrospect Express, and with everything unplugged from the computer except for the keyboard, mouse, and Zip drive. Same result. I also tried this with the latest version of Retrospect Express, 4.3C, and with the new Driver Update 2.5 from Dantz, with the same result.

Zip disks inserted in the drive always mount on the desktop, and the backup operation always proceeds normally at least part-way, before the hangup occurs, so this does not appear to be the “click of death” syndrome that has been widely reported. It also does not appear to be cable or USB-port-related.

Has anyone seen this before? I suspect that it is the Zip drive and not Retrospect Express, but I wanted to get some input from other users before I spend the money on a CD-RW drive.

Thanks for your help.