Multiple DVD-RAM disks

I would like to backup my data, which exceeds the capacity of one 4.7GB DVD-RAM disk, to multiple DVD-RAM disks. I have been able to successfully backup to only one disk. Once the first disk is full, Retrospect Express asks for another disk, which it then tries & fails to initialize.

I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2 on a G4 450DP

30 & 60GB internal HDs

1.5GB RAM

I read that removable media needs to be mounted on the desktop first in order for Retrospect Express to recognize it. If that's the case, then how does one backup to multiple removable media?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, it does erase, not initialize. However, I'm referring to multiple disks. The first DVD-RAM disk goes fine. It is the 2nd disk Retrospect asks for because the data exceeds the 4.7GB capacity of the DVD-RAM disk that is the problem.

Both disks are formatted the same & named "1-*" & "2-*" respectively, but the 2nd disk is ejected every time with a -206 error. I've tried several disks in the #2 spot & all result the same.

Everything has worked fine until recently when the HD data exceeded the capacity of one DVD-RAM.

Bill

Hello,

The error 206 is a hardware error reported by the drive. It could be caused by a problem with the disk itself. Have you tried doing a long format using the formatting software that came with the drive?

The error can also be caused by a device communication problem between the drive and the computer. Changing cables connecting the drive to the computer can sometimes help this error.

Hi Mayoff. This is an internal 4.7/9.4gb DVD-RAM that came stock in the Mac.

Retrospect Expr has worked perfectly for over a year when all data fit on a single 4.7gb disk.

Now that the data exceeds the disk capacity here's what happens:

- the backup session goes normally on disk 1

- disk 1 fills & Retrospect asks for another disk

- disk 2 appears to work for a few moments & is ejected with a 206 error

- every disk tried resulted in the same error

- disks that fail as disk 2 work perfectly as disk 1, so it is NOT the disks

- all disks work normally otherwise

- I have tried formatting the disks in Standard & Extended format & both resulted the same

Bill

The 206 error is always being reported by the backup device. With DVD-RAM, the type of drivers used for formatting the disk are very important. What utility was used to format the disks? Do you just use the Special Menu or do you use another utility? Do you use Drive Setup? DVD-RAM Tuneup seems to be very popular with owners of that type of drive.

Try turning off things like, Norton FileSaver or FileSharing if it is running.

206 error is always only on the second disk

Disk 1 always goes fine (no matter what disk is used in this position)

Even if I rename Disk 1 to Disk 2 & vice versa, it is always the second disk that gets the 206 error

I use Special>Erase Disk to format since no special software for formatting the DVD-RAM disks was included with the computer. This method of formatting has worked fine in general & with Retro Expr since I've had the computer. I have tried standard & extended formatting

I think you were onto something when you said that the media needs to be mounted on the desktop prior to backup. I found the same recommendation in the knowledge base.

But then how does one backup more than 5GB data to DVD-RAM?

Bill