Installation of OS X client

I just updated my Retrospect 4.3 to Retrospect 5.0 Server running on OS 9.1. I then installed the 5.0 client on my desktop machine running OS 10.1.4 and restarted. I launched the client and when I tried to turn it on (with the radio button) it just jumped back to the off radio button. I then tried to select the perferences in the client but nothing happened.

What's going on here? BTW, I have never had any Retrospect client installed on OS X on the machine - only the 4.3 client in the OS 9.2.2 (classic side). Could this have something to do with it?

If the 4.3 version of the client is running, the 5.0 client will not be able to start. Please put the 4.3 Retrospect Client control panel in the Disabled Control Panel folder.

Then, while booted into OS X, go the Network Preference panel pane. Click on the arrows next to Show and choose Active Network Ports.

Uncheck any network ports that you are not using. If you do use more than one active port, change the order of the Port Configuration so that the one that you want Retrospect to use is on top. Then click Apply Now.

Not on the OS X side. I do have an old (4.3) client on the OS 9.2.2 (classic) side but I have turned that off and quit Classic.

One thing I have noticed is this: I have OS X installed on a second hard drive in my machine and I tried installing the client there and I was able to turn if on and access the preferences.

Back to my problem install on my main hard drive: I do have LaunchBar and Seti@Home installed that appear in the startup area. I turned off LaunchBar so it wouldn't launch and that didn't help. I tried to remove the Seti folder from the startup items folder but that didn't help either. I'm thinking that Seti is affecting the Retrospect client someway - not sure if there's an uninstaller for that.

OK, I just set up a test user and gave it administrator rights and installed the Client and the same problem occurs. I did uninstall it and restart and installed the client.

I notice that my Seti@home is still in the startup items for this user since it's in the global startup items folder. The files there are in /Library/StartupItems and they include in the Seti@home folder: SETI@home and StartupParameters.plist

This is what is in the StartupParameters.plist file for the Seti:

{

Description = "SETI@home Screensaver daemon";

Provides = ("SETI@home ScreenSaver");

OrderPreference = "Last";

Messages =

{

start = "Starting SETI@home Screensaver";

stop = "Stopping SETI@home Screensave";

};

}

And this is what is in the SETI@home file:

#!/bin/sh

##

# Start SETI@home daemon

##

. /etc/rc.common

ConsoleMessage "Starting SETI@home"

/Library/S@hScreenSaver/SETI@homeInit.app/Contents/MacOS/SETI@homeInit

• 2 weeks later...

Help

Where did you all get your Retrospect Clients?

I purchased Retrospect 5.0.Still no hard copy CD but downloaded.

purchased two new licenses which I Have installed on my iMac.

But have NO new Client software- How did you all get it? Wherefrom?

I have the old 4.x client on my hubby's Mac disableed

Tried to use the Configure Clients and use the TCP/IP selection to at least locate hubby's mac on our ethernet network. Got a dialogue that I need a more powerful Retrospect License?

Huh? DID the Dantz guy who took my order for upgrade to 5.0 did not sell me the correct item?

Am nervous about hubby running OSX without backup.

Can any of you tell me via step 1, 2, 3 how in blazes I set up Retrospect to back up hubby's computer?

I have emailed Dantz but no reply.

If you had clients previously, then you should have purchased an upgrade that covers both the application update and the client update. This should include four items:

1. The application updater software, to bring your 4.3 software to 5.0.

2. An application update license code.

3. 5.0 client software.

4. New 5.0 client licenses.

If you only have the application update and license, then it's likely that you did get the wrong upgrade, and you should call customer service to upgrade your client licenses as well. Then you will receive a 5.0 code that will allow you to log in clients to your 5.0 application, as well as a link to download the 5.0 client software.

Dear IrenaS,

I have a G4 with 526M memory running OS X 10.1.4 and have installed Retrospect Express 5.0.205 on both my 9.2 and 10.1.4 disks.

I have a Adaptec 2906 SCSI card to which I have connected a Yamaha CRW4416SX, a Iomega Zip and a Umax scanner at addresses 4, 5 and 6 respectively.

My backup work fine on both CD or Zip media running 9.2. When running 10.1.4 only the Zip media is OK. I get a lot of errors during the Verify phase of the B/U when using a CD (Rewriteable media).

I don't know what to do as I think I am uptodate re versions and my CD write.rewrite unit has the required firmware update installed and is listed as usable. I checked the Tutorial for Immediate Back up as shown on the Dantz web page and found that my version does not show the same screen as their instructions do. Mine only shows IMMEDIATE, AUTOMATE,TOOLS,CONFIGURE on the directory whereas theirs shows IMMEDIATE,AUTOMATE,REPORTS,TOOLS,CONFIGURE,SPECIAL.

Do you know where I am going wrong or what I have missed in this whole upgrade thing.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get from any one.

Thanks

Chris

What are the errors?

SCSI under OS X is much pickier than under OS 9, so I'd recommend going through some of the basic device troubleshooting for SCSI. For example, power everything down and remove all devices except the CD burner.

Without details on what the errors are though, it's difficult to offer any specific advice. Please provide details on the errors that you are getting.

Thanks for the response.

Here are some of the errors I received on a Immediate Backup:

File “iPhoto”: miscompare at data offset 70,673, path: “Mac OS X/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto”.

Can't read file “objects.nib”, error -39 (unexpected end of file), path: “Mac OS X/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FileExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/Panel.nib/objects.nib”.

File “HTMLExporter”: miscompare at data offset 11,964, path: “Mac OS X/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/HTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/HTMLExporter”.

I shall disconnect ALL other devices though I would like to point out that Retrospect Express works fine with the existing configuration when runnig under O/S 9.2. Also Toast works fine under both O/S 9.2 & O/S X10.1.4

More later when I have tried a Retro Express with ONLY the CDRW unit attached.

Thanks again

Chris

Hi Irene,

Now what?

I shut down the system removed all other SCSI devices and terminated (Swicth ON) the Yamaha CRW4416SX and did an IMMEDIATE BACKUP of the OS X10.1.4 APPLICATION Folder to a newly defined SUBSET of Mac OS X called Backup Test Set A.

The backup terminated early with a sampling of the errors received shown below.

File “Reader.pdf”: miscompare at data offset 378,423, path: “Applications/Acrobat Reader 5.0/Contents/MacOS/Help/DEU/Reader.pdf”.

File “Reader.pdf”: miscompare at data offset 288,859, path: “Applications/Acrobat Reader 5.0/Contents/MacOS/Help/ESP/Reader.pdf”.

Bad backup set header found (0x3235c05c at 9228).

Backup set format inconsistency (7 at 29258)

The summary of the whole job follows as taken from LOG:

5/15/2002 11:41:37 AM: 2759 execution errors.

Remaining: 2441 files, 100.2 MB

Completed: 21026 files, 198.3 MB, with 30% compression

Performance: 19.0 MB/minute (17.3 copy, 22.5 compare)

Duration: 00:26:28 (00:00:26 idle/loading/preparing)

Looking forward to hearing from you regarding something positive to enable me to switch to OS X 10.1.4 with confidence.

In the mean time I must continue to run OS 9.2 just so that I have a backupp system. I presume that I can backup a separate OS X disk from my OS 9.2 disk using the Retro Express resident there on the OS 9.2 system.

If not be sure to let me know as then I have NO backup and would have to go to million disks of Iomega ZIP which does work.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Chris

The errors that you are getting indicate that the backup set is damaged, or that there are device or communciation problems that are preventing the data from being properly copied and verified. This is likely a result of the connection between your drive and SCSI card.

The 2906 card is a 25-pin card, thus it can only support other 25-pin devices under X, as mentioned on our OS X SCSI adapter support page. While everything works under OS 9, OS X is a different playing field altogether. OS X didn't even have *any* support for SCSI CD-R until 10.1.3, and even now it's much more finicky than OS 9.

You'll need a 50- or 68- pin card to run the CD drive on under OS X. You can try other troubleshooting, such as a media brand supported by Yamaha (TDK, Verbatim or Sony), a new cable or a new terminator, but if the problems persist, the SCSI connection is likely to be the problem.

Please note, also, that you *cannot* back up an OS X system when running OS 9. If OS X isn't active, Retrospect can't access permissions, nor can it reconcile OS X-specific data, such as hard links.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Thanks.

I know you are the messenger so please take the following for what it is worth and don't take the following as a personal criticism.

Maybe Apple has a little something to do with the problem and will come up with some better support in later releases but I don't feel they are so much at fault.

Again I want to point out that Roxio's Toast works using OS X??????? This points the finger away from OS X and Apple and a bit more to Retro Express.

It is not realistic to sell software on the open market which is hardware/software specific and intolerant of minor configuration differences. The real world is that there are many configurations made up of many manufacturer's products that must work with many software suppliers programs.

My configuration does do this with the exception of Retrospect Express. I have used the Dantz product for many years and have been delighted with its functionality and effectiveness.

Please bring your latest product up to standard as soon as possible and be sure to let us all know when that is.

My present version is 5.0.205 and I have not found any later update. Is that the latest release and if not where do I find anything later? I have not seen any reference to version 5 on your update web page.

Thanks again for your response and hang in there in a very tough job. You're doing great just responding to so many folks.

Chris

5.0.205 is the latest version. Updates will be posted to the updates page when they are available.

I understand that you are frustrated. Remember that Retrospect is using packet-writing to burn your CDs, not disc-at-once or track-at-once like most other programs. Retrospect is thus sending different commands to the drive and may be using different capabilities of your drive.

That said, we're working hard, and we're working with Apple and numerous drive manufacturers to get the best working backup solution possible. Updates, from us, Apple, or drive manufacturers, may address some or all of the challenges that OS X has presented.

Retrospect has always been hardware/software specific. OS X requires that the hardware requirements for a reliable backup are more stringent currently. Other programs aren't dealing with your data in the same way, and thus aren't going to have the same requirements. A lost byte of data when burning an audio CD may not ever be missed, but a lost byte of data in a backup of your company's accounting data could mean serious trouble.

I'm not saying this deflect your frustration that your configuration isn't supported. We are trying to be clear about what is and isn't supported, and working with other vendors to support more configurations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with the Retrospect Client 5.0.528 which came with my Retrospect download when I purchased my latest server licenses.

On my MacOS X workstation (now running Developer Preview of Jaguar), the client will not stay "on" but will revert to "off" after a few seconds. By setting Process View to refresh every 5 seconds, I see the process pitond appear on the list of running processes when I click the client on then disappear at the time the client switches to off.

I see this problem reported several times in this forum. Has anyone gotten an answer from Dantz? Does Dantz read these posts?

Gary