Retrospect 3.0 catalogue to Retrospect 6.1

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm having problems restoring files from catalogues created with Retrospect 3. A while back, the studio I work for was using Retrospect 3.0 in Mac OS 9. All of the catalogues were created with 3.0. We got rid of that computer and now we have an old g3 converted to a g4 running OS 10.4 Tiger. I no longer have the disc for 3.0, just the manuals and registration info, so we now have the latest version of Retrospect Express, which I read somewhere not supporting Tape Drives (my storage media). So I downloaded a trial of 6 for OS X. However, when I select the files in my catalogue to restore, it begins to get the data, but then causes the computer to crash. Are catalogues created with 3 compatable with newer versions of Retrospect? Do I have to get an older version and run it in Classic? I need to get files off of the tape drive but am stuck, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, before you do anything else, _please_ make sure you are working with copies of your Catalog files, and that you maintain untouched original copies of these valuable data files before you start working to use them in the newer program.

Retrospect 6.x has been reported to be backward compatible for older Catalog files, although I don't recall reading specific experiences of 3.x users. That's way, way back. But given that you are able to access them in 6.1, and even get a list of files, suggests that it should work.

Unfortunately, you have not provided enough information about your physical setup. "old g3 converted to a g4" hints at problems, and there is no information at all about the tape drive itself, nor the make/model/driver/firmware of any host adapter being used.

This could be a software problem (Retrospect) or it could be a hardware problem (??). It's up to you to help Forum readers help.

Dave

I've never used a Retrospect 3 catalog with Retrospect 6.0 and 6.1, but I have restored files from DAT using Retrospect 6.x that were created using Retrospect 2.0i on a Quadra 700 (680x0) and Retrospect 4.x under ASIP on a PPC 8100, and everything went just fine.

I agree with Dave that a G3 "upgraded to a G4" is not a supported configuration, so you are in uncharted waters. All of my servers were (and are) stock hardware, unmodified.

russ

Sorry. The computer is a G4 not a converted G3 Mac. My mistake. I'm using a Sony tape backup, cant tell you the model number becuase I'm not in front of it. I checked and it's supported by Retrospect, so that's not an issue. I am working with a copy of the catalogues, and the whenever the computer crashes, it corrupts the file. Does it matter that the library was created in OS9 and I'm trying to use it in OS X?

Quote:

Does it matter that the
library
was created in OS9 and I'm trying to use it in OS X?

Do you mean the catalog? No. The Retrospect 2.0i catalogs (and backup sets) that I have restored under Mac OS X were created on a Mac Quadra 650 (608x0) running System 7.5 using a Sony DAT and HP DAT drives (DDS and DDS2). And I've restored Retrospect backup sets made under System 8.6 and System 9 using those same DAT drives.

Possibly you need the Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU"). You don't say what version RDU you have. They are here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7886&p=2

Russ

Quote:

I'm using a Sony tape backup, cant tell you the model number becuase I'm not in front of it. I checked and it's supported by Retrospect, so that's not an issue.

Yeah, it is.

Just because the drive is supported does not assure that the connection method you are using is supported, too.

In an above post I noted that you need to supply the "make/model/driver/firmware of any host adapter being used." If you have a SCSI card in the G4, be aware that there are plenty of older cards that are unsupported _by their manufacturer_ for use in OS X 10.4. Use of such cards will cause your computer to crash. Which sounds familiar...

Dave

Well I have an Adaptec PowerDomain 2940UW UltraSCSI Accelerator. Im not sure of how to find out the driver/firmware info. I'm a PC guy. Right now i'm trying to download an older version of retrospect for system 9 because this scsi card is in fact not compatable with os 10.4. But it is compatable with 10.2 and before.

Or you could get an ATTO UL4S or UL4D PCI card, which work fine with Mac OS X. That's the card that all of the software vendors recommend (well, for the Intel Macs with PCIe, it's the ATTO UL5D or UL5D Low Profile).

We have a UL4D in our Xserve G5, works fine, always has. Tape backup had problems with the Apple Build-to-Order Apple Dual-Channel SCSI card (really, a rebranded LSI Logic 22320 card), never worked right. Good riddance.

Russ

Quote:

I've been tasked with getting a backup computer going with our existing equipment.

Ok, but don't count on your OS 9 Retrospect 5.1 backup computer being able to backup/restore the Mac OS X computer(s). You need Retrospect 6.1 to back up Mac OS 10.4.x. And I would bet that you (or your employer) will spend more on your time to get Retrospect 5.1 running (such as it does) with the Adaptec card than you would if you got an ATTO UL4S.

Russ

We have the computer on a network, so the files needing to be backed up or restored will be put on this machine before being backed up anyways. As long as 5.1 will work with the adaptec card and os 9 then I think my boss is okay with it. I'm going to try and demo it tomorrow to make sure it's going to work.

Quote:

Owners and trial uses of 6.1 automatically get 5.1.

The 6.1 license code works on version 5.1.

Download is found at
and click the archive link

I purchased 6.1, but the license code isn't working for 5.1 which I really really need to work. Should it work? It works in 6.1 as it should.

I couldn't find a trial anywhere for 5.1. In the downloads section(the archive), I downloaded 5.1.177 and installed it but there's no trial license. When I put in the brand new license code I got today for 6.1 (which works I just cant use 6.1 for hardware reasons), it says the license is incorrect.