Duplicate does not duplicate all files

wes888

When I Duplicate drive C to a Firewire external hard disk E, 65 MB of files do not copy to drive E.

I am on a Win 2000 Prof system.

These files are under several directories, including

\winnt\system32\config

\winnt\debug

etc.

I expected all files to be duplicated. Does anyone know why the didn't copy?

If I upgrade to the desktop version, and duplicate my "c" drive to a seperate drive ("d" drive). will the "d" drive be a complete duplicate (mirror image) of my "c" drive? In other words, should my "c" drive crash, would I be able to unplug the "c", and move the "d" to the primary master spot, and be able to boot the computer up without skipping a beat?

In theory you could do that, it just depends on how the registry responds to that process. The registry and boot.ini files are very much linked to the hardware, and any change in the configuration could prevent bootup.

You would be better off backing up to the D: disk using a backup set, boot from a Retrospect disaster recovery CD and then restore all of C:.

Robin

• 3 months later...

This might be wrong forum, but I just did my first complete duplicate of C Drive. I realize some files do not copy over as you noted, and that there is a question of Dantz counting file size differently. And I read in another forum that the copied file on the external hard drive will likely be smaller than on the main C Drive. However, it was not supposed to be too different. My C Drive size was 8.22 GB and the D Drive Duplicate on the Maxtor external Drive was 4.41 GB. I compared the files and the looked like most every thing was copied. What gives? Thanks.

Hi, did not use one touch backup. I am using Express version 5.6.127. Hitherto had been using regular "Immediate Backup." However, I reached the 4 GB limit (which I learned of from the forum). The forum suggested one work-around would be to use "Duplicate" instead of normal "Immediate Backup." I tried it two days ago with just "My Documents" on WinMe. It seemed to work and it came out over 2 GB but less than 3. Yesterday I tried backing up the whole C Drive and that's the one that came out 4.41 GB (with the "Used Space" reading for the real C Drive being 8.24 GB. I did the backup using "Duplicate" to a "sub-file" named "C Drive" just like I did before to a sub-file named "My Documents." This morning I tried backing up again to the "C Drive" sub-file on my Maxtor external 80 GB Hard Drive (D Drive on the computer). The backup apparently (I was away from the computer at the time) took a "Duration of 00:01:23" with 1 file remaining of 40 KB. It completed 457 files=51.1 MB. And it listed a new "error" for me: "C:\Program Folder\Dantz\Retrospect\config 55.dat appears incomplete." Does this tell anything? I sure would appreciate some advice on whether somethings amiss or not. Thanks.

Hello again, I just checked out the file you cited. Turns out that is the file I mentioned earlier that said there might be an explainable discrepancy. The problem is that article showed a pretty minor difference in size than the one I experienced. If it had not been for that difference I would have just figured everything was OK. Thanks

Hello all,

So I am a home user running 5.6.132 which came with my Maxtor 80GB 5000LE.

couple of questions:

1. My first backup was a DUPLICATE of my 5.6 gig volume to the Maxtor. I see in the forum that the registries

are not copied. Why not? And how am I to use the duplicate to restore if I don't have the registries, and source

harddisk becomes unusable?

2. So I WILL l get the registries with a normal backup, but then I run into the 4GB limit on the Maxtor. What are

you suggesting to people in this situation?

Many thanks in advance,

Stan

Stan,

I would direct your question to Mayoff as I am asking pretty basic questions myself. As for getting your Retrospect with the Maxtor. I got my Maxtor before that option was available. And, it appears you have a slightly later version of Express than I do. I thought I had the latest version I could download from the Dantz. I am more or less asking the same questions you are, I just hadn't gotten to the registry stuff yet. If you check the article Mayoff cited, it will give you some idea of why you don't need the registry and what you should do if hard drive bellys up. I've read it several times and I am still not comfortable with it. I guess it comes down to giving a general, generic answer to a situation that varies a great deal from user to user. If we keep this forum going long enough we all may find the answers we seek sooner or later.

elceres

The Retrospect Express software for Windows has never included a registry copy option when doing a "duplicate". This feature is available in the professional edition, but professional edition will not work with the Maxtor One Touch button.

If you would like to use Express to copy the registry, you must use the Backup feature rather then the Duplicate feature:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27447

Hello again,

Yesterday I made my second backup to the sub-folder C Drive. This time it completed 277 files =44.2 MB in 00:01:17. Why I am sending you this followup is this time the "Remaining" was 0. That's a relief, but the "Retrospect Config55.dat" is still incomplete only I now know it's under the "errors" section and not the source of the 40 KB "remaining." Do you think I should worry about this error?

elceres

Hello once again. I think I may have found the cause of the discrepancy. Somewhere down the line my "View" had been restored to don't show Hidden files. One such hidden file is _RESTORE. That file is 2.40 GB (2.50 GB on the Disk). And, it appears that file does not get copied under "Duplicate." I assume it's the WinMe Restore feature. Regardless, it seems to account for the huge discrepancy between C Drive and the backed up C Drive. Thanks again.

elceres

Archived