Using the 6.1.11.101 driver with the new Retrospect 6.1.138?

The new version of Retrospect, 6.1.138 for OS X 10.5, ships with the 6.1.13.101 driver. However, starting with the 6.1.12.101 driver, Retrospect no longer supports DVD-R or DVD-RW (and maybe not DVD+RW) media on Macs. Can the old 6.1.11.101 driver be used with the new 6.1.138 (and later) version of Retrospect so that DVD-R/RW media can be used with Leopard? How about those people staying with OS X 10.4, can they upgrade Retrospect down the road to take advantage of bug fixes but yet continue using the 6.1.11.101 driver for DVD-R/RW media? Thanks for the help.

Hi. I just upgraded to the latest version on Mac too. Now my dvd-r's are "locked". I did a little searching and came across your post. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I swapped my new driver for my old 6.1.11.101 driver. I then relaunched my program and it worked! The problem is, I don't know how long that driver will work, if they keep updating retrospect. To be honest, I am very disappointed with them after the buy out. I would like to use another program like superdupper but it doesn't burn dvd's. You have to have another drive available. I like the dvd because I can make a copy and bring it to my save deposit box at the bank where it is truly safe. Anyway, I thought I would tell you my experience so far. Everything seems fine. I don't know how you setup your backups, but I have a separate BU for my iPhoto pictures and noticed two things different. One was called out in the read me (check it out) and the other is that, iPhoto 08 has three files that change every time you add a photo. These files are huge and so they gobble up your dvd's fast. The names are: Thumb64Segment.data, Thumb32Segment.data, and ThumbJPGSegment.data. I did some reading and apparently these files can be trashed and rebuilt, so I see no need to keep copying them. Just thought I would give you that tip.

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing a similar problem since moving to Leopard. Since the upgrade on my G5 quad 2.5 I have made quite a nice stack of Maxell DVD-R DL coasters! It started when I tried to make a DVD archive of my old Tiger system (not booted) from an external FW drive. Retrospect got about 3 discs in and found a "hardware failure" and locked up. After that I have tried numerous times to re-configure my DVD drive, and every time Retrospect hangs, ruins the disc and causes a kernal panic during force quit.

Long story short, how do I reinstall the old driver over the new one? I used AppZap to remove the new install, but does that remove the drivers too or is that done manually?

Thanks in advance,

fuzz

However, please note that some of us with older Macs -- such as my 15" flat-panel iMac -- have optical drives that support only -R and -RW DVDs, so using +R or +RW media is not an option for us. That's why I was wondering about being able to use the 6.1.11.101 driver with Retrospect 6.1.138 (and subsequent releases) on both Tiger and Leopard, as some of us with such systems may not be able to upgrade to Leopard.

Can you confirm that it was intentional to remove the backup to DVD-R functionality (e.g. for Pioneer DVR-107D) from the driver included with the recent update (6.1.138)?

If that somewhat questionable decision is indeed true, it would be nice if it was mentioned somewhere in the README file.

As a workaround, can I use an older driver with the new update or do I need to revert back to 6.1.126?

Thanks

Thank you for the response.

I put the 6.1.11.101 driver into the Applications/Retrospect 6.1 directory (and check the log to make sure it was loaded when retrospect started), but am still having some problems. (This is on a G5 desktop with OS X 10.3.9)

1) The DVD-R disc I was using the first time I ran R 6.1.138 (w/ the buggy driver) is still reported to be write protected. Is there some lock bit that can be removed/reset or do I just have to abandon this disc and move on to a new member?

2) When I try backing up to a different Backup Set, I get a message that the Catalog is not in sync and, after fixing that, drive media errors (dirty heads, etc.) followed by a message to insert a new disc (and curiously that all the data will fit on 680 M - as if it was a CD not a DVD).

It seems like the 6.1.11.101 driver may not be compatible with R 6.1.138 or, perhaps more likely, that I need to do something else to clean out the buggy driver.

I welcome any suggestions or advice (and an updated driver with the bugs fixed)

Thanks

Apologies if I should have started a new thread with this question, but the question is related to the topic and I am not sure where else to ask.

I upgraded Retrospect from 6.1.126/rdu 6.1.11.101 to 6.1.138/rdu 6.1.13.? on my dual powermac G5 running OS X 10.3.9. The backups to DVD-R (G5 has supported Pioneer DVD drive) stopped working (reported discs/drive 'write protected'). I downgraded the rdu back to 6.1.11.101 and got a new series of problems (see an earlier post in this thread). So I just decided to uninstall 6.1.138 (using the installer) but preserve preferences and reinstall 6.1.126 and then put back the 6.1.11.101 RDU.

It does not produce errors now, but it seems to think the DVD-Rs that I backup to are CD's and will only store 680 M on them. Something is clearly wrong. Please help. Thanks.

Quote:

On the mac, I don't think it ends in .rdi

Look for a file with the name Driver or Device in the path above.

Well, I did test this before I posted:

Code:

mail:/Library/Preferences/Retrospect admin$ ls -al

total 14000

drwxrwxr-x 14 admin admin 476 Nov 28 14:11 .

drwxrwxr-x 34 root admin 1156 Nov 28 14:09 ..

-rw-rw-r-- 1 admin admin 6148 May 14 2007 .DS_Store

-rw-r--r-- 1 admin admin 0 Aug 27 2005 Icon?

-rwsrwxr-x 1 root admin 65800 Sep 19 2005 LaunchRetroHlper

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 6242783 Nov 28 14:11 Operations Log

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 285880 Nov 28 14:09 Retro.Config (6.0)

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 362164 Dec 21 2005 Retro.Icons (6.0)

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 8266 Nov 28 14:11 RetroConfig.tmp

-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin admin 13780 Nov 28 14:09 Retrospect Event Handler

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 3127 Sep 8 2005 Retrospect.error.log.bf45d2bf

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin 1015 Nov 28 13:22 device01.rdi

-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin admin 1743 Jul 11 2005 macmail.py

-rw-rw---- 1 root admin 578 Nov 28 14:09 retrorunfile

mail:/Library/Preferences/Retrospect admin$

Xserve G5

Mac OS X Server 10.4.8

Retrospect Workgroup 6.1.138, RDU 6.1.13.101

Russ

There are no .rdi, Driver or Device files in the /Library/Preferences/Retrospect folder. When I noticed the problem, I also tried to create a custom configuration for the DVD drive. That only succeeded in creating CD-R media support, so I then deleted the custom configuration. As I write this, it makes me think that the bad RDU 6.1.13.? might have changed the hardware state of the drive somehow. I will try to find out how to reset the drive, but if anyone happens to know offhand, that would save me some time.

Quote:

I will try to find out how to reset the drive, but if anyone happens to know offhand, that would save me some time.

Did you reboot the machine after regressing to the older version/driver? That would reset anything because Retrospect wouldn't have updated drive firmware.

Try a new backup set with new DVD-R media. If all fails, you could quit Retrospect, move the preferences (Retro.Config (6.0)) to the desktop, launch Retrospect and re-enter your license code and settings, and try that.

After several hours and a few wasted DVD's, I finally figured out the problem. Before updating to 6.1.138, I had been using 6.1.126/rdu 6.1.7.101. (Because this thread mentioned the problem with DVD-R that I saw with 6.1.138, I somehow assumed that I was last using rdu 6.1.11.101). Anyway, reverting back to 6.1.126/rdu 6.1.7.101 solved the problem.

I guess rdu 6.1.11.101 is not compatible with PowerPC G5 (2.2)/OS X 10.3.9/Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D rev A707 either. Things must go bad somewhere between rdu 6.1.7.101 and rdu 6.1.11.101. It is a pretty stock system that is not THAT old. It would be kind of nice if the developer had tested it or at least given a warning not to use the newer drivers.

I guess I learned (again wink.gif ) not to upgrade unless you REALLY need to (I was wooed by the promise of improved autolaunching - every so often I have to run Retrospect manually to get autolaunching reactivated). After I get a little of my real work done, I might try 6.1.138 with rdu 6.1.7.101 (or maybe something even a little newer).