Why when restoring does it scan thw whole destination machine?

I'm restoring a backup of our website to another machine for testing, yet it seems to insist on scanning the whole of the destination server before copying the files over...

Is there any reason for this that I don't know about? Surely, if I ask it to restore 'these' files to 'this' server... what else is on the disk is irrelevant is it not?

Or am I missing the point?

Rich

That's the way Retrospect works and pretty much has to because of its paradigm. The entire source is scanned, filtered by Selectors.

If you only want part of the disk to be scanned, set up a Retrospect "subvolume" as the source, and Retrospect will restrict its activities to that subvolume (filtered by Selectors, of course). See the manual for details of setting up a subvolume.

Russ

Do you "restore entire disk" vs "Restore files and folders"?

In the former case, it scans the destination disk to see which files are already there and don't need to be copied/restored.

In the latter case, there is no scanning. The restored files are stored in a new folder, so you have to move them afterwards.

Basically this is what happened:

I wanted to quickly (!) copy our live website to a new backup set so that I could copy it over to another machine so we could make changes to the original code. Our live site has a databse backend allow people to create access accounts etc so I wanted the very latest version (not one from the nightly backup).

I set the one off backup script with a subfolder on the source server and sucessfully copied the data across to the backup server 'temp' area. I then selected the destination server for a 'restore' onto the C: drive choosing to overwrite all matching files (although there wasn't any) and hit the GO! button. I assumed this would create a directory called 'website' in the C: root and copy all the files over.

Retropsect then appeared to scan the entire destination disc (which took forever as it's a test box really!) even though the source folder name didn't match anything on the destination.

Seems a bit odd that Retrospect would give two hoots what's on the destination... and after waiting a while I stopped the restore and created a subfolder on the destination server too which solved the scanning delay.

So yeah, I worked out how to get around it, but was just curious why Retrospect seems to need to know the entire disc structure before copying a folder over...

Thanks for the replies smile.gif

Rich