Mac Pro OptiArc 6.1.12.101 support

Hi!

I was excited to see that support for the Mac Pro OptiArc drive was listed in the recent 6.1.12.101 driver update; however, whenever I try to back up to that drive in my Mac Pro, Retrospect locks up, often requiring a hard machine reset.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ken

2.66GHz Mac Pro, "Quad Core", 7GB DRAM, 10.4.10, Retrospect 6.1.126

Robin:

I went back and checked to see if I was missing an asterisk, and it turns out I was: in the release notes for the update, it says that the drive is only qualified for DVD+R.

I am using DVD-R media.

To try to directly answer your question, what happened was that Retrospect would request a new disk, or an existing member of a backup set to write new data, I would put the DVD-R disk into the OptiArc drive, and I would hear the drive spin up, and then nothing--no error message, then the spinning beach ball, and the machine would be unresponsive for 45 minutes or so, at which point I used a hard reset to shut the machine down. I usually keep Activity Monitor up and running on my screen to be able to do a "Force Quit"; I could not access it. Command-Option-Escape did nothing either.

Now, I guess I was doing the "unsupported" thing, but I am wondering why putting the wrong media in the drive could cause such a problem. Also, I am curious as to why +R would be supported, but not -R, on a drive that writes/reads pretty much any format except when Retrospect is involved. Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if -R media is in fact not supported, is that something I could look forward to in a future release?

I also have a Pioneer drive in this machine, I believe the -111, and it just works fine. Apple shipped the machine with two Pioneer drives, but one failed, and they swapped in the OptiArc, which is the one causing problems with Retrospect.

Thanks,

Ken