Error -49 with WindowsMe

I am backing-up my laptop running WindowsMe from an iMac running MacOS9.0.4 with Restropect Workgroup 4.3.

I am doing a full drive back-up as I would like to upgrade the hard drive on the laptop and I would like to basically copy the full drive image so that I do not have to reinstall all the applications and the OS. (Dantz advertise this feature for Restrospect)

I am seeing -49 errors (file busy) for the 7 following files:

C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\INDEX.DAT

C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\INDEX.DAT

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT

C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\MSHist012002021720020218\index.dat

C:\_RESTORE\LOGS\vxdalt1.log

C:\_RESTORE\LOGS\vxdsfp.log

I have done some research on this forum and on Google and I understand that the first 4 files (the *.DAT files) are not a real issue. They are a hidden way used by WindowsMe to keep an history of the websites visited. These files are recreated automatically if they are deleted through some special utilites (as Microsoft went to great extent to hide them) or by booting in MSDOS mode..

I am worried about the two log files used by WindowsMe System Restore feature. I could not find any information about those.

What will happen if I restore the full drive and these files are missing? Does it mean that I will not be able to use the System Restore? Will new log files created if I manually create a restore point after I created the full image on the new drive?

Will my system boot with a drive where these files are missing?

Any help will be appreciated. I also wish that Retrospect had a way of backing-up these files instead of just flagging an error. This is very annoying not to know if a full drive back-up is consistent.

Archived