windows 2003 server service pack 2 unusable remote desktop / terminal services client

jdbausch

I'm having the issue mentioned below: grayed out client under remote desktop after service pack 2 on windows 2003 server.

(this is a 64 bit OS on the server)

I've implemented the fix listed below - adjusting the permissions. Removing existing permissions, adding system and administrators. (forced them all the way down)

I have no idea what this RBU mentioned account is. this server is a domain member, but I've searched anywhere, and I can't find any such an account.

I'm still having the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? having to work for the console is totally bush league.

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.1759149

TITLE: Updating to Windows 2003 SP2 and Remote Desktop

Discussion

After upgrading to Windows 2003 Server service pack 2 from a prior service pack users are no longer able to access Retrospect via Remote Desktop. The GUI is grayed out and unusable. Some users have also been forced to re-enter Retrospect license codes when launching Retrospect.

The service pack upgrade has incorrectly changed the permissions on the Retrospect configuration folder to "Everyone: Full Control". A service pack upgrade should not be changing the permissions of a Retrospect folder.

Resolution for Remote Desktop Issue:

Change permissions on C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect to:

1. Remove Everyone

2. Add Administrators: Full Control

3. Add SYSTEM: Full Control

4. Add RBU: Full Control (this may only be necessary in a domain configuration)

Resolution for License Code request:

Restore an older copy of your config75.dat file to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect

Mayoff,

thanks for posting on this issue.

to be clear, this config DID work before I put the 2003 sp 2 on the system.

so to answer your question, that is the config I was running, and it did work for me , BEFORE I put the 2003 sp 2 on the system.

since then I have the grayed out - non functional - retrospect in remote desktop sessions. it works fine logged on locally.

thanks

Are you connecting to the server console via RDP? Or are you doing a regular RDP connection? At least with older versions of Retrospect, I found that retrospect woudn't even launch at all in an RDP session unless I was connected to the console. In your connection profile you should have a line like this:

connect to console:i:1

-matthew

• 2 months later...