Figuring Out Which "error -43 (file/folder not found)"

Hey all.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to find a file on a Retrospect Client which keeps causing a "Scanning incomplete, error -43 (file/folder not found)" error?

from my log...

9/6/2007 1:00:33 AM: Copying lepstein on rOotgirl's PBŠ

9/6/2007 1:00:33 AM: Connected to rOotgirl's PB

Scanning incomplete, error -43 (file/folder not found)

I usually can fix the error by running DiskWarrior with the PowerBook in FireWire target mode, but then, a few days, a week later it crops up again. I'm getting real tired of failed incremental backups so I'd like to figure out what file is doing this. However, the Retro log isn't very detailed on this...

Is there any verbose logging or anything 'tricky' I can do with the catalogs to figure out what the file(s) may be?

Tech Info:

Retrospect for Mac (latest version) on dual G5 tower (latest Mac OS).

Client is Mac G4 PB (latest Mac OS) with Retro Client (latest).

Backup in incremental nightly with local tower, PB and one PC.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated! Once I sort this I can get on to figuring out why the darned thing also gets stuck in a "Net Retry" with said same PB!! <g> crazy.gif

thxs

cheers

cp root

Quote:

Quote:

I usually can fix the error by running DiskWarrior ...<snip>. However, the Retro log isn't very detailed on this...

What about the DiskWarrior log? What is DW doing when it fixes things?

What I'm doing is fixing the directory structure. The last one I did the log didn't say much other than "4 files" fixed. Alas, I didn't save out the log as I was in a rush. Perhaps this weekend I'll run it again and be able to give you a more specific answer.

thxs!

cheers

cp root

Quote:

The only suggestion would be to do a binary search, break the volume up into Retrospect subvolumes, try backing up each subvolume, see which has the issue. Narrow in on the problem by narrowing down the subvolume.

Erg. That's quite the job. Not really sure my two kids will leave me the time to do that. crazy.gif Ok, I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks much for the suggestion!

thxs

cheers!

cp root

I guess I'm just surprised that you use a program that discovers "4 files" that need fixing, but instead of making note of those files you post a message asking others to suggest the best way to discover which files might be causing Retrospect to fail?

A full DiskWarrior scan on a modern OS X install takes a long time, while the additional time necessary to view the expanded log of changes would be a tiny percentage of the total wait, and much less then how long it takes to post multiple times to a web based BBS!

Dave