"Warning: Ignore ownership setting enabled" on FireWire drive

I moved my Music and Movies folders from an internal data volume (not my boot volume) to a larger external FireWire drive, and I added this drive to my daily backup script.

Retrospect 6.1.126 is now reporting ...

"Warning: volume Calvin has the Ignore ownership setting enabled."

As I understand it, the "ownership" flag is (only?) important for boot volumes. What's the best setting for "Ignore ownership on this volume" on my FireWire data drive?

I'm happy to ignore Retrospect's warning if there's a good reason to leave "Ignore ownership" checked on the FireWire drive.

-- Ward

Quote:

I'm happy to ignore Retrospect's warning if there's a good reason to leave "Ignore ownership" checked on the FireWire drive.

There is no good reason to leave "Ignore ownership" checked. Basically, what you are doing is disabling the entire unix permissions model. Leaves security wide open, etc. It has nothing to do with the boot drive. It's to enable you to take a drive from another computer, which had a different NetInfo database (local user IDs and group IDs) and was not connected to a central Open Directory server or Active Directory server (either of which would have provided a consistent set of UIDs and GIDs), and read/write to it.

With "Ignore ownership" checked, Retrospect has no hope of properly preserving owner and group permission metadata info.

Russ

Quote:

With "Ignore ownership" checked, Retrospect has no hope of properly preserving owner and group permission metadata info.

Thanks! I've unchecked "Ignore ownership" on my external "Calvin" drive.

Although file permissions is not especially important on my iTunes Library and my collection of short video files, I'm curious how changing this option now affects the files already on this volume (both the older files copied from the internal volume and files added in the past week).

-- Ward