"Can't read file "xxx", error 4096, path: "...."

Hello everyone,

New to Retrospect but have seemed to somewhat grasp it enough to create a few scripts to run a back up of my users' data.

What i can't seem to figure out is why it won't read certain .pst files. I know of one .pst file it backs up but that's it. Other .pst files it runs into don't. Can anyone explain to me what exactly i need to do for Retrospect to back up all of my users' .pst files as well as the Entourage database of emails?

Thanks

jman22

Quote:

I know of one .pst file it backs up but that's it. Other .pst files it runs into don't.

.pst files are (for readers lucky enough not to ever have to deal with them) data files for Microsoft Outlook.

Since Outlook doesn't run on (modern) Macs, why do you have .pst files to backup?

Is it possible that you intended to post your question to one of the (many) Windows areas of this Forum?

Dave

I could post this question in one of the Windows Forums but being that I'm running Retrospect on a Mac Pro, for the purpose of backing up files on both MAC and PC clients, I thought posting this on the Mac forum would make more sense.

Also, the secondary part of my question involved backing up Entourage email databases.

Quote:

I could post this question in one of the Windows Forums but being that I'm running Retrospect on a Mac Pro, for the purpose of backing up files on both MAC and PC clients, I thought posting this on the Mac forum would make more sense.

Ah, well, being that you've provided insufficient information to really understand what you're doing, it's going to be mighty difficult for any reader to offer up suggestions.

Since text based online community tech help is one way, it's necessary for the person who is experiencing the problem to provide as much relevant information to the people who might be interested in helping.

If you're not willing or able to explain, for example, if you're getting the 4096 error on only Windows clients, or on both Windows and Mac clients, and/or on the local volume, then what do you expect us to say?

If you are having a specific problem backing up a specific sort of file (such as an Entourage data file) you need to say so, and explain what happens when you try.

In the case of Outlook stuff on a PC, if that file is being used by Outlook at the time of backup, the error is probably to be expected. Retrospect running on Windows provides some technology (Open File Backup) that can read these files even while they're in use. The Mac version does not provide it.

Retrospect can generally read files that other programs are reading/writing to (such as mail or database file) although the validity of such files might be at issue. In those cases, backing up a copy of the file (generated using various methods) or quitting the parent application first might be the best strategy.