Catalog is out of sync with Sony AIT5 drive

We use Retrospect 6.1.126 and RDU 6.1.11.101.

When we tried to make a backup we get the message "catalog is out of sync ".

We have changed the tape drive, tape, scsi cable, scsi card and the terminator we also created several storagesets.

But the error still persist.

We have tried this on a Xserve Xeon and a Mac Pro (both intel machines).

system 10.4.10

ATTO UL5D driver 4.1 and flash file 16-03-07

Drive is connected on channel A with scsi id 4

Any suggestions are welcome.

You indicate that you have tried several storage sets. From scratch, so that the catalogs would be new?

It's not clear what drive you have. The Sony web site shows two AIT-5 drives: The AIT-i1040s (internal) and AIT-e1040s (external). Neither shows up in the list of Retrospect supported devices:

Retrospect supported devices

Have you tried defining a subvolume with just part of the source and/or tried doing a file backup to isolate whether it is the drive?

Russ

Hello Russ,

The drive is an external one.

The drive is in the supported list with the model number sdx-1100.

A file backup is not a problem, i have also tested an ait3 drive and this one is working fine.

Thank you for thinking with me, if you have other suggestions your welcome.

Ok, it looks like you have isolated it to Retrospect's interaction with the drive.

Quote:

if you have other suggestions your welcome.

Once again I ask, just so it is clear that you have tried to do this from scratch so that a new catalog would be created:

Quote:

You indicate that you have tried several storage sets. From scratch, so that the catalogs would be new?

That's the only thing that I can suggest. Sounds to me like the RDU driver for this drive is buggy, isn't preserving the data correctly.

Russ

I've tried this from scratch and the problem still persist.

We have put an UL3S card in a Powermac G5 with the same configuration and this is working fine.

I think it is an ATTO problem with the intel mac's.

I've placed the same problem at the support site of ATTO and waiting for the response.

When i have a solution i let it know.

I suggest that you give ATTO support a call. We've found them to be VERY good the one time we had a simple config issue with our UL4D in our Xserve G5. I've never seen this problem on our Xserve G5 with Retrospect; we are holding off on the Intel upgrade until Retrospect becomes Intel-native, but I'm not holding my breath and we can't wait much longer.

It may somehow be related to Retrospect running emulated under Rosetta on your Xserve Xeon and Mac Pro. You seem to be doing everything right, and your thoroughness in isolating the issue is commendable.

I assume that you've got adequate RAM in the Xserve / Mac Pro. 2 GB or so seems to be about the minimum for an Intel Mac running Retrospect emulated under Rosetta.

There's also the very rare outside chance that it's related to bad RAM, but the Xserve's ECC should have handled that.

Good luck.

Russ

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with a client's Mac PRO with Atto card and SDX-1100 tape drive. Basically even if you setup a brand new storage set Retrospect will report the the catalog is out of sync even before any data has ever been copied. i.e. the first ever time you run the script..

This setup was working fine for around 5 weeks. Sony have let me try a new tape drive and tapes which has made no difference. I dont think it's a complete Retrospect problem as the Sony tape drive diagnostics that run in Mac OS X terminal also fail very similary to Retrospect i.e. tapes are rewound , recognised and erased but as soon as data read or write is executed it then hangs and times out with error.

I"ll let you know if I find a solution.. Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Last update,

ATTO have confirmed that there is an issue with Apple system 10.4.10 and the UL5D card.

I have tested 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 (atto suggested this) and these systems will work fine with the card.

For the time being there is no other solution than downgrade your system to one of these versions.

Harry

From the ATTO Website:

Since the release of OS 10.4.10, there have been a number of reported problems accessing tape drives with EMC Retrospect and other backup programs. These usually materialize as system freezes or backups hang. This has been reported mostly with LTO3 and Sony AIT-4 or AIT-5 tape drives, but may happen with other types also. Until a solution is found, please revert to OS 10.4.8 or 10.4.9.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...