Grooming not working

I'm experiencing an issue with my backup sets not being groomed correctly.

I'm running Retrospect Multi-Server 7.5.387 on Win2k3 R2. I have a backup set (disk-based, 50GB, 128-bit AES encrypted) that is used to back up about 5 GB of data daily through a scheduled script. The backup set is configured to groom the backup set when full using default policy (keep backups for past 2 days at least).

After about 10 days, Retrospect started prompting for additional media. Log reports that grooming ran but did not recover any additional space:

19/07/2007 10:14:12 AM: Groomed zero KB from Backup Set DTB Backup to Disk.

To investigate further, I changed grooming policy to retain 1 backup only. Grooming still did not recover any additional space. There are now 10 sessions in the backup set, one for each of the past 10 days. If I understand grooming correctly, it should discard old sessions to free up space.

Any ideas?

Filip

Quote:

If I understand grooming correctly, it should discard old sessions to free up space.

Not quite. I believe that it discards copies of files in older sessions that are not present in later snapshots. For example, if a file did not change from 10 sessions ago when it was first backed up (and thus hasn't been backed up in subsequent sessions), the file will still remain in the backup set in order to be able to be restored by the most recent snapshot. Viewed another way, it keeps what it has to in order to preserve the most recent X snapshots. If you preserve only 1 snapshot, that's as if that snapshot was a full backup.

russ

Hi Russ,

thanks for the clarification. You are right, grooming works on the file level, not session level.

That however does not explain the problem I am experiencing. The backup set I described above is very easy to observe, as it only contains about 20 files. 3 are really big (2 GB each) and they change every night. Therefore, when grooming policy is set to retain 1 snapshot, the size of the set should go down dramatically. However that does not happen...

Regards,

Filip

You know you can schedule "Groom" scripts, right? We have them scheduled at quiet times (weekend) and they groom the oldest snapshots. The Groom scripts don't wait for the member to reach its size limit, but removes the oldest snapshots according to the Backup Set preferences.

Have you tried a "Groom" script?

I tried a schedulled grooming script - no luck. The script runs and grooms 0 kb out of the set.

To rule out the backup set being at fault, I created a fresh new backup set and used it for backups. I now have 4 snapshots in the new backup set. Grooming policy is set to "Groom to remove backups older than 1". However when grooming runs, 0 kb is groomed out.

Quote:

I tried a schedulled grooming script - no luck. The script runs and grooms 0 kb out of the set.

To rule out the backup set being at fault, I created a fresh new backup set and used it for backups. I now have 4 snapshots in the new backup set. Grooming policy is set to "Groom to remove backups older than 1". However when grooming runs, 0 kb is groomed out.

Are these 4 snapshots from the same computer or from different computers?

If they are from different computers, nothing can be groomed.

If they are from the same computer, some of the files must be deleted or changed between the backups, otherwise there is nothing to groom.

Hi Lennart,

yes, the 4 snapshots are of the same data on the same computer. The files are the same filesa that change regularly and the yare backed up every day.

So the 4 snapshots represent 4 versions of the same files for the past 4 days. Therefore, 3 snapshots should be groomed out when grooming policy is set to keep 1 snapshor, right? However that does not happen.

• 2 weeks later...