Error 109 with DDS2 tape, HELP!

Following setup:

Intel Mac xServe 10.4.9 with new HP StorageWorks DAT 40 USB external drive.

Mac Retrospect 6.1.126, Driver 6.1.11.101

Getting Error: "Trouble positioning: "1-Monday" (0). error 109 (unexpected filemark or FTP end of file)." when trying to read a DDS-2 Tape. I'm not having any problem reading the newer DDS-3 Tapes that I have, only the DDS-2 Tapes.

Any dierection that any one can point me to would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks.

The DDS-2 Tapes, from 96'-97', were written on another drive, a SCSI DAT drive and are readable on that drive.

The tape heads don't need cleaning, brand new unit.

Trying to transfer from these DDS-2 tapes to new VXA-2 tapes. Looks like I'll have to do a double transfer, from tapes>HD>tape.

Quote:

The DDS-2 Tapes, from 96'-97', were written on another drive, a SCSI DAT drive and are readable on that drive.

As I suspected. I don't think that it's a bad tape, but instead just that the HP can't read the older drive's tapes. Perhaps a formatting problem (some drives use a hardware compression that other drives can't read), perhaps it's an alignment issue between the two drives.

Quote:

Trying to transfer from these DDS-2 tapes to new VXA-2 tapes. Looks like I'll have to do a double transfer, from tapes>HD>tape.

Can't you put both tape drives on the system at the same time?

Russ