-519 on Mac G4 clients

Camelhump

I have seen the dreaded -519 error on G4 machines (and others) before upgrading to v5 of retrospect -

however it seems that the fequency of this error has increased significantly -

The error - does NOT cause lockups on the clients, nor on the Retrospect server.

Server hardware - Accelerated 7600 with OS 9.2.2

Client hardware - varies, most problems seem to be 'graphite' G4s running OS 9 (9.0.4 - 9.2.2)

The only solution I have found is uninstall - reinstall the client - which is a significant PITA.

Additionally - due to the way I am now doing backups - 2 sets of tapes (duplicate backups) backing up the same machines at more or less the same time (serially). One script runs, doing backups to one storage set (and tape), then a second runs doing the same thing to a second storage set (and a differnt tape)

I can see Retro back up a client, then some time later (an hour or 3) fail, or the otherway around - it fails then an hour or 3 later succeeds.

The best way to approach these types of problems is to narrow it down as much as possible.

Take a single client that seems to be getting the error more frequently. Do some troubleshooting to see if you can increase the success rate.

If this fails or is inconclusive, try troubleshooting the backup computer for problems.

Your network may also be a contributing factor. You can elimitae this by trying backups over a crossover cable.

Troubleshooting steps for netowrking errors can be found at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=186

this is NOT a network issue -

if it were -

then all clients, or clients on specific segments would fail, either during a single backup run, or all the time - neither happens.

This is NOT a backp server issue -

if it were -

then all clients would fail, either during a specific backup run (one evening) or all the time - neither happens.

Since making the original post I have been paying much closer attention to this issue.

Here is what I am finding -

G4/quicksilver clients - running OS 9.2.2, or 9.1 will -519 on the first backup attempt, then 1028 the second attempt -

The 1028 error is because the first error crashed the computer.

--

here is an excerpt of the backup (email) logs:

=======script 1=============

The script "7th Floor" started on Monday, July 22, 2002 9:00:54 PM.

Volume "Backup Clients:Chip’s QuickSilver:Additonal Space" completed successfully, copying 6 files for 5599 K with 0 errors.

Script "7th Floor" finished copying volume "Backup Clients:Chip’s QuickSilver:Additonal Space" to destination "7th Floor".

Duration: 33 seconds.

----------------------

Volume "Backup Clients:Chip’s QuickSilver:CharisMac™ 8191M" completed successfully, copying 0 files for 0 K with 0 errors.

Script "7th Floor" finished copying volume "Backup Clients:Chip’s QuickSilver:CharisMac™ 8191M" to destination "7th Floor".

Duration: zero seconds.

----------------------

•Error•

Volume "Backup Clients:Chip’s QuickSilver:QuickSilver" completed with error 519: network communication failed.

===========Script 2=======

The script "7th Floor Dup" started on Monday, July 22, 2002 10:40:38 PM.

----------------------

•Error•

Volume "Backup Clients:Chip’s QuickSilver" completed with error -1028: client is not visible on network.

======================

as you can see - 2 drives backed up (scsi) and the internal failed (script 1) - I beleive it failed due to the G4 locking up during the backup, and then of course the second script failed with the G4 being locked.

I surmize this since the Quicksilver in question here was locked upon attempt to wake it up this morning.

there seems to be a problem backing up the the computers system/internal disk -

When backing up the 2 scsi disks - no problem -

start to backup the IDE disk - lockup, -519. (see above log insert)

The IDE disk is the original disk in the Quicksilver and is also the system disk - 40gig drive

To say that this problem is not a network issue because it is not reproducible 100% of the time on each client isn't really very helpful. It seems like you are saying that Retrospect is unable to back up IDE hard drives on all Quicksilver machines; is this correct?

In any case, we can try a crossover cable between the server and client. If this still fails consistently, we can start to look at other options. Please post your results.

Archived