Internet consistency check failed

Hi,

We use Retrospect version 6.1.126 server on Mac OS 10.4.8 (Desktop) here at work and for the past two weeks we haven't been able to backup all our users in our workgroup. Under Report, Retrospect tells me that: Internal consistency check failed: Assertion check at "elem16.c-687"

I checked the help menu of retrospect and it tells me to "rebuild the media using Tools>Repair>Rebuild" as the error occurs during backup and may be the result of a corrupt catalog.

I tried doing this but I get another error after clicking Rebuild button: "Couldn't repair catalog Retrospect Data. error -61 (writing denied)"

I don't know what to do. Please HELP.

Thanking you in advance.

Quote:

Please HELP.

No can do, until you provide more complete information regarding your setup.

For example, Retrospect supports multiple Type of Backup Sets (Tape, File, Internet, etc). But you haven't described what Type you are using.

Retrospect uses RDU files to provide updates, but you haven't listed wich RDU you are using.

Even the model of Macintosh being used is not listed in your original post!

You note that this has been happening "for the past two weeks" but don't reveal if this same configuration had been working in the past, or if anything had changed since then.

Assertion checks can have different causes on different systems; without a thorough list of hardware/software being used, no one can suggest steps you might be able to take to help.

Could be many things. Hardware failure on the drive where your catalog is stored, insufficient disk space to write out the catalog, ACLs preventing writing of the catalog, etc.

Try moving the catalog to your desktop and then rebuild a catalog from scratch (not repair/rebuild the catalog on the desktop) from the backup media (tapes, files, whatever).

What Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") do you have? (see the Retrospect log or About Retrospect in the File Menu). How much RAM?

Russ

I am having the same exact problem. I will try to provide as much information as possible:

- Hardware: Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3GB RAM

- Software: OSX 10.4.10, Retrospect v6.1.126, Device Access Version 10..0.107, Driver Update Version 6.1.10.100

- I am backing up from my Macbook Pro to a file on my NAS. I have used this same configuration for months

Below are two screen shots for further reference.

Thanks in advance,

pete

Here is a screenshot of my destination - note 70GB available.

path_finder-20070713-202304.jpg

Here is the error message:

retrospect-20070713-111402.jpg

Somehow I missed that after going through all the trouble of documenting my post! I just tried to do it and now it looks like the recycle backup last night failed for an entirely new reason reporting that there my be errors with my destination drive. Itleft my catalog and container hosed with 0 and 56K respectively. Strange. My NAS control panel did not report anything funny. Deleted the set and am starting a new backup from scratch...

pete

Quote:

Software: OSX 10.4.10, Retrospect v6.1.126, Device Access Version 10..0.107, Driver Update Version 6.1.10.100

- I am backing up from my Macbook Pro to a file on my NAS. I have used this same configuration for months

Well, no, you haven't been using this same configuration for months, as OS X 10.4.10 is newer then that.

- Is it possible that the error followed the OS update?

- Is it possible that the error followed the release of the 6.1.10.100 RDU?

I'd suggest trying your backup without any RDU. If it succeeds, try with the newest RDU release (6.1.11.101 as of this writing).

Right you are.

My last successful backup was on 6/20, 5 days before the OS X 10.4.10 update was installed on on my computer.

I have had lots of successful backups using RDU 6.1.10.100.

If you still think it would be helpful, I can run a backup without an RDU but I am not sure how to do this.

pete

Quote:

I can run a backup without an RDU but I am not sure how to do this.

Quit Retrospect, drag the RDU to the Desktop, restart Retrospect. You can verify that there is no RDU by looking in the log or, under the File menu, look at "About Retrospect".

To me, a more interesting test might be to try to rebuild the catalog again (sigh) and try to an AFP storage medium, or an attached drive, rather than to the NAS. I can't see how the NAS would be causing this, but it would eliminate that variable. But 62 Gig would take something larger than a thumb drive...

Russ

Quote:

Quit Retrospect, drag the RDU to the Desktop, restart Retrospect. You can verify that there is no RDU by looking in the log or, under the File menu, look at "About Retrospect".

I did that and rec'd the following error:

∆ Retrospect version 6.1.126

launched at 7/16/2007 9:28 AM

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 7/16/2007 9:28 AM

To backup set Backup Set B…

- 7/16/2007 9:28:41 AM: Copying MacBook Pro…

Can't add that much data to backup set.

The limit is 2.0 G.

7/16/2007 9:55:27 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 446 files, 1.6 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:26:46 (00:26:38 idle/loading/preparing)

7/16/2007 9:55:30 AM: Execution incomplete.

Total duration: 00:26:46 (00:26:38 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 7/16/2007 9:55 AM

Looks like removing the RDU prevents >2GB file writes?

Quote:

To me, a more interesting test might be to try to rebuild the catalog again (sigh) and try to an AFP storage medium, or an attached drive, rather than to the NAS. I can't see how the NAS would be causing this, but it would eliminate that variable. But 62 Gig would take something larger than a thumb drive...

I suppose I can set this up if you think there is some issue introduced by the new OS. (The Driver Update Version 6.1.10.100 is has been tested and qualified to work with my Infrant NAS).

pete

Quote:

(The Driver Update Version 6.1.10.100 is has been tested and qualified to work with my Infrant NAS).

Believe it if you want, but many people have been having problems with RDU 6.1.10.100. I'd suggest updating to the 6.1.11.101. I'm only trying to help.

And yes, I do believe that it would be productive to try to get the NAS out of the equation, just to see if that is causing the issue. If it's not, we can look elsewhere.

russ

I finally found a spare 200GB USB drive to test a backup to a different destination. Same error.

There is a recurring pattern to the error that may be worth noting - it always seems to happen on the "ASUS" backup (my Windows remote client) and never my MacBook. So according to this, it looks like my MacBook is backing up fine.

I have not changed my Windows client software configuration ever. It running version 7.0.112.

Any ideas?

thanks!!!

pete

LOGFILE

+ Normal backup using USB Test at 7/20/2007 4:24 PM

To backup set Usb Test Backup Set…

- 7/20/2007 4:24:43 PM: Copying MacBook Pro…

Can't read file “1Passwd.prc”, error -43 (file/folder not found), path: “MacBook

[snip 137 more misc. execution errors]

7/20/2007 9:01:51 PM: 138 execution errors.

Remaining: 138 files, 3869 KB

Completed: 648175 files, 61.2 GB

Performance: 241.4 MB/minute

Duration: 04:37:08 (00:17:50 idle/loading/preparing)

7/20/2007 9:03:35 PM: Connected to ASUS

* Resolved container ASUS to 2 volumes:

DRIVE C (C:) on ASUS

Quicken on ASUS

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem16.c-687"

7/20/2007 11:36:44 PM: Execution incomplete.

Total duration: 04:37:08 (00:17:50 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 7/20/2007 11:36 PM

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After much reading on these forums and other areas, I decided to backup and remove the Retrospect preferences (/Library/Preferences) and replaced with an older backup copy (thankfully this was backed up at least once, so 90% of my scripts and such were all there), and bang! it works, no more errors.

Now of course, I lost all the new changes I've made to scripts, but that's something I can rebuild easily enough, and now the backups are working again.

Also of note: from when it worked until failure with errors like:

Trouble in Retrospect:

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem16.c-687"

or

"elem.c-923"

G4, stock, 2GB RAM, 10.4.8 OS

Latest version of Retrospect 6.1.126

For no apparent reason (no changes made to server or clients that I'm aware of) it just suddenly stopped working with the above errors, but ONLY for the windows clients. Macintosh clients worked fine. Odd.

Ran Disk Utility, no errors found in directory on any disks, permissions repaired OK too.

Purging the prefs seemed to solve the problem, and I think that may indicate where the problem lies.

Word to the wise: Backup your Retrospect preferences, frequently, and especially after any changes to clients, volumes, scripts, etc... make a new backup, and you should be safe in case of prefs corruption.

I hope this helps, as I can certainly understand how frustating this is, having to go through it myself.

Cheers,

Daniel

Daniel Feldman

=======================

MacMind

Certified Member of the

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Certified (ACHDS)

URL : www.MacMind.net

=======================