Sign in to follow this  
tomnibus

Trouble reading files, error -3840 (The operation terminated abnormally.)

I'm getting the above error when backing up my SQL databases. I can connect to the server and copy the files from the file structure. But if I do an SQL server connection to backup the database it fails.

I can go to the "Volumes" configuration screen and connect to the database to refresh the list, I'm not having any problem with that. I don't know why this is happening.

I also want to add that it's been working just fine for months. It stopped two days ago. The only thing I did two days ago is detach a database which wasn't even getting backed up, it was a test db. Everything else has remained the same.

Any suggestions?

Is there any additional error information available through the Enterprise Manger logs?

Can you backup the databases through Enterprise Manager?

I see this error:

18210:

BackupVirtualDeviceSet::Initialize: Open failure on backup device 'dantz_retrospect_vd_re7'. Operating system error 0x80070002 (The system cannot find the file specified).

So it seems the server can't find the file, however, I can not only see the physical mdf file, but I can be in enterprise manager and see the databases are attached.

Excellent - thanks for the update. I found instances of SQL error 0x80070002 SQL doing a Google search, but none that matched your exact circumstances.