Exchange agent 1.2

I have exchange 5.5 and exchange agent 1.2 running on NT4. I created a share to windows 2000 server and pointed the agent to copy the exchange database which is backedup regularly from win2k server. I setup it up so that exchange agent makes full copy every midnight.

Here is the full setup:

Automate tab

------------------------------------------------

Automatically copy the server database -checked-

Every day at <12>:<00>:

Destination folder:

-a share in win2k server-

OPTIONS... --> Make full copy when copy exceeds 429 mb of 41 gig of the

destination disk size.

-checked- And every DAY

Copy tab

------------------------------------------------------

-checked- Full copy

Destination folder: -same as above-

Here is my question:

If I look at the log, I dont see any indication that a backup has occured at 12am everyday. But it looks like I told it to make it. So now I am manually making full copy everyday. Can somebody explain this to me? It is bit confusing. Thanks

sn

Does anything appear in the log? For instance, does only the last backup appear in the Agent's log?

If so, this is expected behavior. The Agent's logging feature is somewhat limited. When a full backup of the Exchange database(s) is run, the log is purged, and should only show that last full copy action.

Chuck,

Retro exchange agent log only shows the backup that I do manually. And if I go to the exchange server application log, I see the following error event on the scheduled backup time.

Logon failure: unknown username or bad password. The Exchange database copy failed.

Then I went to the services and checked the account that retro agent service uses to make a back up of exchange database. The Log On As: account is the exchange service account. I thought probably the logon failure is due to the share in win2k. So I switched the backup destination from win2k share to the local machine. The exchange service account has full permission on the destination drive. Still I get the above error in the application log. Any idea? Thanks.

sn

• 2 weeks later...

Archived