Installing Retrospect 7.5.387

abakadabra

Today I downloaded the Retrospect 7.5.387 and 7.5.11.100 updates. All seemed to go well. I then installed them. All seemed to go well. I checked "About Retrospect". It showed that I still had 7.5.370 and 7.5.10.104 installed. I shut down the computer and restarted. Same thing. What to do?

I have been having the same problem, almost!

I am dual-booting (XPP/VistaHP).

When installing to XP, it does not install (same as you are experiencing).

When I try to install from Vista, I get to a point where the install fails (says it does not support the version I am using).

I read the release note again, and, they say that you should uninstall the current version before installing the new version.

Will give this a go on the Vista side. Hope it does not corrupt everything!!!!

YES. GLAD TO HEAR THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE WITH THE PROBLEM. I HOPE SOMEONE FROM THE COMPANY PAYS ATTENTION.

I REALLY HAD TROUBLE MAKING SENSE OUT OF THESE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:

"Upgrading from Retrospect 7.5.251 to Retrospect 7.5.387: You cannot use the Retrospect 7.5.370 CD to upgrade from Retrospect 7.5.251. To upgrade, you can either copy the installer from the CD to the local disk and run it from there, or use Retrospect Updates to update via the web. To use Retrospect Updates, launch Retrospect 7.5.251, then choose Retrospect Updates from the Help menu. Click Check Now, then download and install Retrospect 7.5.370. "

I ALREADY HAVE 7.5.370 INSTALLED. HOW DOES THE ABOVE HELP ME/US INSTALL 7.5.387???

I just tested this and the only way you'll see this problem is if you manually moved the Retrospect application folder from it's original location. Once the folder is moved InstallShield no longer knows the location of the folder to upgrade. The upgrade will be installed to the default location:

C:\Program Files\Retrospect

If your original installation was to a different location (ie: D:\Retrospect) the upgrade will work as expected.

Retrospect.exe should be located in the following path:

C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.5

Is it in the Retrospect folder or the Retrospect 7.5 folder? I just want to be specific.

You may want to uninstall from add and remove programs and then install 7.5.387.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am back again.

I still have not been able to install 7.5.387.

Retrospect 7.5.370 is installed in C:\Program files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.5.

I uninstalled it, reinstalled it and then tried to install 7.5.387. It appears to be installing as "Setup BD installing network driver" text is visible. Then I get a memo that my LAN is now connected; then I get an error message saying that my router is disconnected. I turned off my Norton firewall. Same messages. I checked in the drive location and clicked on Retrospect 7.5 from there. It boots up but help about says it is still 7.5.370. I have tried the automated download and downloaded it to my C drive and tried to install it manually.

It would appear that the installation process is knocking my system off the internet which it needs to perform the installation. .370 did not do this when I reinstalled it.

What to do? rolleyes3grem1.gif

Abakadabra: You have to uninstall 7.5.370 and then install 7.5.387. Do not reinstall 7.5.370 first.

Also, looking at the messages you describe, it looks like windows is trying to install something else instead of Retrospect. It could be that there are some leftovers from another windows install in your temp directory. You should clean that directory before installing.

Marc

Thanks Mark;

I tried what you recommended but no joy. I deleted all the files in Windows\Temp; uninstalled .370 and tried to install .387....same symptoms....still knocked me off my internet connection. I reinstalled .370. No problem. Maybe I'll leave it as is.

Anyone else got an idea?

rolleyes3grem1.gif

One more suggestion. Searching on internet shows the install message you are seeing is related to the program BitDefender not being installed properly. Do you have this program installed? If so maybe it is worth trying to uninstall BitDefender and then try to install Retrospect.

Marc

Well, I think I have found out the installation problem. It appeared to me that after unzipping the upgrade, the installation was attempting to install some other program -- apparently a sound driver (???)

Anyway, after unzipping the upgrade, go to the directory where the upgrade was unziped to ( c:/documents and settings/<user>/Local Settings/Temp) and manually select either the setup.exe or Retrospect.msi file for execution.

I also uninstalled the previous installation first, and cleared out the various temp directories, but I don't think it was necessary.

sjf