Error -1017, (Insufficient Permissions)

bobsch

I'm running Professional 7.5.370 with Hotfix 7.1.11.100 under Windows XP SP2.

After an error free backup one night, the very next night I started getting this message for each of 4 drives on the Retrospect host computer being backed up: "Can't use 0pen File Backup option for (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)." The knowledge base articles for -1017 are no help. Volume Shadow Copy is mentioned, but it is running. There are also a number of -1020 Sharing Violation errors.

Anyone have any ideas that might help me?

• 1 month later...

I have looked in the Event logs and have found the following relating to VSS before the Retrospect error:

Log Name: Application

Source: VSS

Date: 04/07/2007 19:35:58

Event ID: 12293

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Desktop.mshome.net

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details PreFinalCommitSnapshots({e48ca755-0668-44e0-89f2-c616840de743}, 2) [hr = 0x8000ffff].

Operation:

Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:

Current State: DoSnapshotSet

I have searched Microsoft for various aspects of this and have not found anything useful.

Further to my last post I have cured the problem, although this will not help the OP (bobsch). In my case, I noticed that the Volume Shadow Copy Service VSS was not running and was set to 'manual'. I started the service and Open File Backup worked without error. I will change the service to start automatically. Is it usual for this service to be set to 'manual'? If so, Retrospect would need to start it and clearly this is not happening. Any view on that?

I have found the answer to my first question and the Volume Shadow Copy service should by default be set to manual and should by default be in stopped mode. The service is dependent on RPC and that service is set to automatic and running as it should be. The 'vssadmin.exe' commands line tool suggests that everything is fine with the Volume Shadow Copy service. It follows that programs requiring it, like Retrospect, should be able to start it. If I can start it manually, why is Retrospect not starting it?

I have got it working now (3 times it has worked) and am not sure which of the changes I made did it. The changes I made (remember this is Vista in my case) are: 1) I changed the ownership of 'volsnap.sys' (Windows\System32\Drivers) to 'Administrators' from 'TrustedInstaller' and gave 'Administrators' 'Full Control'; 2) Used vssadmin.exe (Windows\System32) from the Command Line (run as Administrator) to reduce the maximum size of Shadow Storage on my C: drive from 90GB to 30GB (this seems unlikely to have done it); and 3) Edited the registry key: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl adding several additional REG_DWORD entries in the form 'Name'='User' 'Value'=1'. The 'Users' I added were: SYSTEM, Administrator and myself. This is supposed to permit Shadow Writers to use these specific accounts (see: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/d8288c6d-2064-4a54-b516-98acc315dd481033.mspx ). I have a feeling it may just be the 'SYSTEM' one that did it.

Why any of this should have been neccesary I do not understand. Anyway, this may help someone else.

>>Why any of this should have been neccesary I do not understand.

None of it should be necessary. Retrospect uses VSS in it's default state. That said, problems with VSS will cause problems in Retrospect. What caused those problems is unknown to me. Are you running x64 Vista?

Hmmm, this is making this a non-starter for our SOHO. Right out of the box, after defining a backup and kicking it off, I get these application event errors:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer ContentIndexingService called routine RegQueryValueExW which failed with status 0x80070002 (converted to 0x800423f4).

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly.

Can't use Open File Backup option for PROGRAMS (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Yet at the same time the system events go like this:

The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.

The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

I can also see that vssvc.exe is running as a process as is Retrospect.exe, so I cant figure out how to diagnose from here:p

Is there hope?

BS

Hi amy, no, i have not deployed the clients on the lan yet, I am just trying to backup the same box that Retro is installed on. Could that be the problem? thx.

BS

ps. this is an open files function problem only. if i turn off that feature, i don't get the error. but then i don't trust the backup. so what to do?

Quote:

>>Why any of this should have been neccesary I do not understand.

None of it should be necessary. Retrospect uses VSS in it's default state. That said, problems with VSS will cause problems in Retrospect. What caused those problems is unknown to me. Are you running x64 Vista?

No just 32 bit Vista Ultimate. I suspect that I do have a problem with VSS because the bulit-in Vista backup also failed with an error. Note that the change of maximum ShadowStorage size has nothing to do with the VSS error. I have changed it back to 90GB and everything still works. I changed it back because when I backed up in Retrospect at maximum 30GB, there were lots of comparison errors. When I backup up at 90GB there were no comparison errors.

By the way, the built-in Vista backup also now works.

• 4 weeks later...

Having re-installed Vista, I have found the culprit on VSS problems. The culprit, for me anyway, is Macrovision InstallShield 2008. On my new installation, everything with Retrospect, Open File backup and VSS was fine until I installed Macrovision InstallShield 2008 Professional. As soon as I did that, the VSS problems returned and Open File backup ceased to work. In addition, Vista's own backup program would not work and even worse that that, creating restore points would not work. I then un-installed InstallShield, re-booted my PC and everything relating to VSS works again as it should.

This is clearly not a Retrospect problem and I have reported the matter to Macrovision.

• 1 month later...

So is there a solution for Windows XP? I'm getting close to the end the trial version and I'm pretty sure I don't want to pay for a program that still doesn't work. I don't understand why a network backup will run once or twice and never again. Rebooting both computers will allow it to run once, but I don't want to reboot two computers every day.