SQL d2d, snapshots

mek1

Hi,

I set up a test script to backup our sql databases through agent using Disk to Disk. When I attempt to do a restore it shows there is no session data available for the script.

Am I doing something wrong here? It would be a disappointment if there was no way to backup SQL db's to disk in snapshot form.

thanks

For most of the D2D snapshots we can restore them to a restore_*dbname* sql databse just fine. When we try to back up our most critical DB, SystemCore, we are unable to restore it for testing.

speechlessgrem1.gifNOTE: This database uses Full Text Indexing, as does the other one we just tested. Both DB's fail to restore. This must be related to the problems we are experiencing.

here is the error:

+ Executing Restore database from Backup at 5/1/2007 10:25 AM (Execution unit 1)

5/1/2007 10:25:10 AM: Connected to dbserver1

To volume dummy_restore5107 on dbserver1...

- 5/1/2007 10:25:10 AM: Restoring from d2d2t_db

Restore type: Full

T-7: MapError: unknown Windows error 1,834

Trouble writing files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

5/1/2007 10:25:26 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1 files, 176.0 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:15 (00:00:12 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Executing Restore database from Backup at 5/1/2007 9:18 AM (Execution unit 1)

5/1/2007 9:18:13 AM: Connected to dbserver1

To volume restore_systemCOre on dbserver1...

- 5/1/2007 9:18:13 AM: Restoring from d2d2t_db

Restore type: Full

T-7: MapError: unknown Windows error 1,834

Trouble writing files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

5/1/2007 9:18:28 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1 files, 749.6 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:15 (00:00:12 idle/loading/preparing)

any ideas?

thanks

Check the SQL Logs in the Enterprise Manager to see if there is any additional error information. Are you restoring back to the same version of SQL?

To be clear, you have other databases that have no errors on restore? Are they SQL default system databases, or were they created by you or by another application?

It would be helpful to note configuration information: OS version(s), Retrospect version(s), SQL version

Quote:

Check the SQL Logs in the Enterprise Manager to see if there is any additional error information. Are you restoring back to the same version of SQL?

To be clear, you have other databases that have no errors on restore? Are they SQL default system databases, or were they created by you or by another application?

It would be helpful to note configuration information: OS version(s), Retrospect version(s), SQL version

1. I will work with out Developers to get any error info around the time of testing.

I talked with the team, there are no corresponding errors during our testing from SQL2K5

We are restoring back to the same version of SQL2k5 Standard.

2. Correct, we are able to backup and restore any database so far that does not use Full Text Indexing.

These databases were created by our Dev team, on a user by user basis.

3. Windows 2003 Standard server, Retrospect Multiserver 7.5 /w SQL addon (running on a networked w2k3 std server), SQL 2005 Standard edition

With SQL there absolutely should be error messages in the SQL Logs in the Management Studio because Retrospect gets the errors from SQL. There will also be errors in the Windows Event Application Log.

Make sure you are checking the logs on the destination SQL Server.

I just ran some backup and restore tests on new databases with "Full Text Indexing" enabled and had no issues with restore.

Make sure you're setting a valid restore path in the restore options if not restoring back to the original server