I am getting tired...

bnj

A short update:

It seems to me that it is when backing up clients, the memory is locked up and never released. Heavy grooming and transfer activity doesnt seem to influence the memory use in the longer run. We have 8 250GB disks arranged in 4 stripes.

If it is coupled to hardware/drivers, maybe one should look for the raid controlers or the network cards.

/brian

Quote:

Heavy grooming and transfer activity doesnt seem to influence the memory use in the longer run. If it is coupled to hardware/drivers, maybe one should look for the raid controlers or the network cards.

I think you can rule out the raid controllers, since grooming/transfer doesn't affect memory usage.

Network cards (and mostly their drivers) causes at least 75% of our "Retrospect" problems.

• 2 weeks later...

So now things are lightening up!!!

I was reluctant to update to the latest 7.5.387 version because of the disasterous 370 update.

I have now updated from the earlier version 324 to 387, since I found no reports of large disasters.

The memory leak problem seems to be solved, so it WAS a bug! The program has been running now for 2 days and the memory use doesnt seem to increase. Now I hope there is no other/new problems emerging...

After this short period of testing is seems that Retrospect is really doing what it was promised to do when we bought the first verisoin more than 2 years ago. Oh yes I claim that version 7.5 was merely a bugfix, we had to pay for.

I am happy about the future, but disappointed it should take so long to get here.

Thanks for everyones inputs and suggestions.

/brian

• 7 months later...

Well I've been using 7.5.387 on 4 windows 2000 servers and I've had problems with memory leaks on two of them. The leak occurs only when retrospect is running a backup, using performance monitor you see the paged/non paged pools spike up, and whilst most of the memory is released some is not. If I don't use retrospect there isn't a leak, and I can backup using windows backup without losing memory. Closing / Reopening retrospect doesn't seem to release the memory.

The gradual loss of memory means the server has to be rebooted every 2-3 weeks when running retrospect.

I was able to solve this problem on one of the servers by completely reinstalling retrospect and also applying the exchange 2000 post sp3 hotfixes, but I still have this issue on the second server

If anyone has any ideas?

While I see that most of the posts on this thread are from mid 2007, most of the gripes still apply today I think. Namely the stuff about bugs and the inordinate amount of time that too many admins have to spend babysitting Retrospect. I've had my own issues; grooming problems, constant corruption, UI glitches, etc, etc.

Chris

Quote:

While I see that most of the posts on this thread are from mid 2007, most of the gripes still apply today I think.

In my experience Retrospect doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to. It still isn't the product I loved up to, and including, 4.3 but I don't hate it anymore.

I know this is faint praise but it has been a long time since I praised Retrospect.

Dan

I wanted to chime in and just say I did not realize how much I actually like and prefer retrospect (and all of its many faults) until I was forced to use Backup Exec. We just upgraded our email organization to Exchange 2007 at our new data center and I was forced to go with Backup Exec, since retro does not support '07 yet. Backup Exec is a complete nightmare compared to Retrospect IMO.

I must say my install of Retrospect has been quite reliable recently - I assume some magic dust was sprinkled on one of the updates recently? The improvement almost went unnoticed - well done EMC... it now works! laugh.gif

However, I like others have given up trying to hold my breathe for the 'great' Exchange 2007 release to actually arrive, it must be almost too little too late for some of you?! Is it really *that* different to Exchange 2003 to take this long - or is it still at the bottom of the 'to-do list'?

Still, I was very impressed with the database recover process I had to use for the first time the other day - superb!

Rich