error - 3401 (kMsg_DirScan)

Hey guys and gals;

I'm having a problem backing up Exchange 2003 server using the latest public build of 7.5 (latest client also). It's only just start happening, so I'm a bit unsure what has broken.

All users can access and use their Exchange Mailbox, however, when backing up it throws the following error:

- 13/04/2007 11:30:55: Copying Sanna ****** on Exchange 2003 Server

Retrospect error code error -3401 (unknown)

Reported by function kMsg_DirScan

You must login to an Exchange container.

Scanning incomplete, error -3401 (unknown)

This is odd as most of the mailboxes in the same Mailbox Store backup fine - without any errors, yet about 10 (out of 50 or so) fail with this same error all of a sudden.

Any ideas? Through testing today, I scanned the users mailbox and it returned error 3408, but after a couple more attempts it started scanning fine, and is doing so for all accounts I have tried all of a sudden?! I can't find any logs for when I manually scanned the mailbox and it failed either?

edit: I should have also said it backs up the entire Mailbox Store fine, this only happens when backing up individual mailboxes...

Rich

Just to add, I also seem to get this error:

- 13/04/2007 12:44:46: Copying Alan ***** on Exchange 2003 Server

Retrospect error code error -3408 (unknown)

Network error: Exchange is not answering and may need restart or reboot.

Scanning incomplete, error -3408 (unknown)

Since trying to fix this issue I have rebooted the server - without change. Rebooting Exchange makes me nervous though! smile.gif

It's also worth pointing out our Exchange server is almost idling it's so under used. 3.2Ghz Xeon, 2GB RAM... 2x SCSI OS drives and 4x SCSI Data drives. 2x Gigabit LAN cards paired up and plugged into a HP gigabit switch.

Backup unit runs on SATA drives (2x OS drives RAID1 and SATA drives for backup destinations - hotswap). Xeon 2.4Mhz, 1GB RAM, XP Pro.

I can ping from the backup server to the exchange server and it returns 100% success with 0ms turn around time.

Rich

UPDATE:

Ok, so it looks like I'm spending today looking into this, so I thought I'd keep you informed.

It would appear right now that something is wrong with the backup store or catalog file and is causing this. I've fired off a new immediate backup of the Exchange Server for the mailboxes only and it would 'seem' to be backing up OK.

Rich

Update: Obviously spoke too soon... getting errors all over the shop!

- 13/04/2007 13:19:34: Copying Amanda ******* on Exchange 2003 Server

- 13/04/2007 13:19:38: Copying backup user on Exchange 2003 Server

- 13/04/2007 13:19:43: Copying Carl ******* on Exchange 2003 Server

Next is to try and reinstall the client and see if that fixes it! frown.gif

Ugh, this might actually be a problem with the permission for the account I used for Retrospect after all this. Doh. I installed the client again and set about moving the license over and scanned for mailboxes etc, but the authentication screen wouldn't go away. Even using my login (Domain Admin) it was failing?!

edit: Just checked the user account on our server and it had locked my account?! Must have been failing to authenticate or something odd?

I setup a new backup user account and then tried and it works first time. Odd consider my Exchange server permissions haven't changed and they all allow full access to Domain Admin accounts?!

I'm running another test backup now - hopefully this will fix the issue.

Rich

Ok, all was going well and then it threw another hissy fit:

- 13/04/2007 16:00:03: Copying Conference Phone on Exchange 2003 March 07

- 13/04/2007 16:00:21: Copying Daniel ******* on Exchange 2003 March 07

T-9: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

Scanning incomplete, error -523 (service transaction error)

- 13/04/2007 16:00:36: Copying ******* ****** on Exchange 2003 March 07

T-9: main: transaction terminated by PDS exception

Scanning incomplete, error -523 (service transaction error)

I can't find any -523 errors in this forum frown.gif

Rich

Nothing related in the Exchange Server event logs... I have now done an offline consistency test on the exchange database which fixed one small issue, all 100% OK now.

Now I'm trying to run a backup on Retrospect (just the mailboxes).... to a normal backup set drive, yet when I preview Retrospect crashes... instantly frown.gif

I've read other bad reports about this build, so would you advise rolling back to an older version? I've never had problems like this before backing up exchange - but it's 'kind of' important that backups stop failing.

Where can I get the previous build from?

edit: rebooted BOTH backup and Exchange servers now and Retrospect is still instantly crashing when I try and preview...

I've had a buffer underrun error (which crashed Retrospect too) it mentioned something about VB or something...

I'm now getting desperate so have again reinstalled the Exchange client (had to do this maybe a month back) and wiped our Friday backup tape and have started a fresh Exchange Backup for testing. SO far, it seems Ok, but it's oddly running very slow (it used to run at ~400MB/min but it's dropped to ~60MB/min now!)

Cheers,

Rich

There isn't any corruption in the mailboxes, I have done several checks using M$ utilities and they all come back 100% fine. Interestingly, today, after getting sick of seeing failed backup attempts for my exchange mailboxes I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall > reinstall Retrospect. Interestingly, I can now Preview the exchange mailboxes without Retrospect crashing on me.

Besides this, the mailboxes that are failing are random.. it's not always the same mailboxes.. some that have failed will work the next time around! Weird! As they backup 'sometimes' this would suggest to me that the mailboxes are fine, and something is happening when retrospect client is connecting to the Exchange mailboxes that Exchange doesn't like (so is rejecting the connection). Maybe the authentication isn't being passed correctly?

I'm now attempting to do a full mailbox backup to see what happens now as being able to actually Preview the mailbox contents is a step in the right direction. Again, only reinstalling Retrospect has been done to fix this issue.

Thanks again for your help Amy,

Rich

Doh! Still not working. Can someone confirm to me where I need to change the Exchange permissions, just to rule out my server? I have changed the permissions on the storage group to allow full read access to the backup user account, yet I am unsure how Retrospect connects to the database (i.e. via a service or direct database access on the disk).

Cheers,

Rich

Ok, for anyone who has a similar problem... today I completely lost patience and rolled back to build 324....

... guess what? IT NOW WORKS.

What a waste of my time this software is at times!

edit: no it doesn't. Stupid thing. It starts backing up fine, then for some reason Exchange stops responding with the following error:

- 20/04/2007 14:51:48: Copying ***** ******* on MS Exchange 2003

Trouble reading files, error -1104 (device not ready)

20/04/2007 14:52:28: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2967 files, 335.2 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:39 (00:00:34 idle/loading/preparing)

and then it starts throwing this:

- 20/04/2007 14:52:28: Copying *** ******on MS Exchange 2003

Retrospect error code error -3401 (unknown)

You must login to an Exchange container.

Scanning incomplete, error -3401 (unknown)

and then finally this:

- 20/04/2007 14:57:47: Copying Projector on MS Exchange 2003

The backups before this point and after are fine... it's like Exchange is ignoring the requests for a short period of time and throws up a generic error.

frown.gif Back to the drawing board!

Rich

Ok, quick update as I still seem to be top of the Exchange section...

This is very odd now. I have run more consistency checks so I'm happy our Exchange 2003 DB is fine. I can run the Exchange mailbox script and it'll get through 10 or so mailboxes and will then fail for the next 10-15 then start backing up fine again.

If I then start a Immediate backup of one of the failed mailboxes on it's own... it'll succeed! So, doesn't this suggest that the authentication is fine and it's appears to be something to do with the way Retrospect is trying to login to mailboxes after a while?

No errors in the Application logs when this is happening either - which is odd, as if authentication was failing it should be showing up in there!? ...further tests today.

Rich