Two Processes running

During runtime of my backup scripts I can see two Retrospect processes running (Mac Double G5 with OS 10.4.9) These processes are running my scripts two times. If the same script is running two times both interfere and it seems that they are blocking files each other.

Any hints

Thanks in advance

Oliver

Is it reproducible? If so, you may have the first reproducible case of "Two copies of Retrospect running". I've only seen it once, others have had it happen sporadically.

You also don't give versions of Retrospect and RDU. The Retrospect programmers have tried to fix this in the past, let's be sure you aren't running old code.

What version of Retrospect? What RDU?

Can you verify that you only have a single copy of Retrospect installed on your machine? In terminal, do:

Code:

locate Retrospect | fgrep RetroRunSL.app

If you've only got one copy, you should see something like:

Code:

mail:~ admin$ locate Retrospect | fgrep RetroRunSL.app

/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL.app

/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL.app/Contents

/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL.app/Contents/Info.plist

/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL.app/Contents/MacOS

/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL.app/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL

/Applications/Retrospect 6.1/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/RetroRunSL.app/Contents/PkgInfo

If it is reproducible, and if you've only got a single copy of Retrospect installed, and if it's the latest version (Retrospect 6.1.126 and RDU 6.1.9.102) then call EMC Support immediately. Perhaps you will be the one who can help them fix this bug.

russ

Hi Russ,

first of all thanks for your lightspeed answer, it is not reproducable. Unfortunately....

I have only one installation on my active system disk. I have a second external disk with OS, Retrospect and the backup files as well.

Retrospect version is 6.1.126 with RDU 6.1.9.102. Looks most recent :-)

Just a minute ago Retrospect has finished all scripts with a single process without any problems. I am not able to reproduce this behaviour.....

Thanks so much

Oliver

Quote:

I have a second external disk with OS, Retrospect and the backup files as well.

Hmm... There's a remote possibility that the copy on the external disk is getting launched for some odd reason. Actually, it would be more plausible if you somehow caused the copy on the remote disk to launch and then the one on the startup disk became autolaunched.

If the backup files are on a separate volume (partition) on the external disk, would it be possible to unmount the volume with Retrospect? I assume that it and the OS are only on the external disk as a fallback in case of failure of the primary boot disk, right?

Russ

Russ,

you are right. The external disk is my fallback with a bottable system, Retrospect and the backup files. There is only one partition with all of the stuff.

But probably I have some news. My backups are running every day 10 pm. If the machine is up and running it seems that I have only one process running. If I start the machine latern than 10 pm or it was switched off for more than a day I have these two processes again.

I am not 100% sure if that is happening everytime when my machine "misses" the 10 pm start. I am suspicious if Retrospect is startinf the "lost" job and the current one.

As mentioned it is only a assumption. I will play around somewhat but this will take some days for testing.

Oliver

Looks I am the one :-)

Ican reproduce the two processes when my machine has missed a schedule and I start the machine after the next schedule.

Example: The machine was rurned off Saturday at 10 pm. I sart the Machine Sundaay 10:30 pm. Retrospects starts up immidiately with two processes.

Which I did not tried out so far is to start the machine before the next schedule. Im ny example Sunday before 10 pm.

Oliver

I can reproduce the two processes when...

Sadly, actual "steps to reproduce" are not included here. Such steps are what would cause the defect to present itself on an otherwise clean test bed.

Valid steps to reproduce would include a detailed description of the hardware being used, as well as a precise description of the software and its configuration(s). After the, explicit steps, from launch to crash, are needed.

Since I, and likely other readers as well, have booted a machine that had a script pending without seeing the duble-auto-launch bug, that alone is not the cause.

There's something missing, that has as continued to eluded discovery.

• 2 weeks later...

After trying around for some days. The two processes issue only shows up when Retrospect has missed a schedule. Looks like Retrospect tries to run the missed schedule and the current one.

I know that is hard to reproduce. But this behaviour is consistent.

I am using a G5 double 1.8

Mac OS 10.4.9

Retrospect 6.1.126

The destination is my external LaCie Disk

My system language is English

My date and time settings are German

I have the feeling that perhaps the German time settings are causing that problem using an English OS??????

Oliver

> I know that is hard to reproduce. But this behaviour is consistent.

Can you provide some additional details about what you see?

- How are schedules missed?

> I have the feeling that perhaps the German time settings are causing

> that problem using an English OS??????

Believe it or not, there have been other hints that time settings are involved. But so far, no steps to reproduce that take that into account.

If you set your time to US, does the problem go away for good?

Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for your answer. A missed schedule is when my computer is switched off. I have a daily schedule. If my computer is switched on alltimes everything works fine. But if it is switched off for ome day, means the schedule is missed prob. skipped is the better word, I have the two processes next day.

Talking about time and language. I am using an US operation system but have switched time settings, currency and that kind of stuff to German. I will switch my time format to US and will skip a day.

I will be on a business trip for the rest of the week. I will come back to you next weekend to tell if the US time settings helped.

Best Regards

Oliver

Quote:

A missed schedule is when my computer is switched off. I have a daily schedule. If my computer is switched on alltimes everything works fine. But if it is switched off for ome day, means the schedule is missed prob. skipped is the better word, I have the two processes next day.

Interesting. The one time I have seen it was when a backup was missed due to a corrupt retrorun file (grrrr), leaving several pending executions for the next launch after I deleted the retrorunfile and launched Retrospect.

Russ

Back from my business trip I started my machine and Retrospect started immediately at 8 pm. My Date and Time settings are US now. The next backup was scheduled for 10:30 pm. Again two processes startd up.

Now at 10:30 the scheduled backup starts up with only one process.

I have the strong assumption that th two processes start up after a skipped schedule.

Oliver,

I suggest that you provide this information to Retrospect support.

Contact Support

You are the first person who is able to create a reproducible test case for this bug that has irritated many of us for a long time. Perhaps, with your test strategy and your configuration in hand, the Retrospect programmer(s) will finally be able to fix this bug after the years that it has persisted. The Retrospect programmer(s) should have a lot of idle time now that Leopard has been delayed until October, and with the announcement that there will not be any revision to Retrospect Mac until after Leopard is released. See:

No Retrospect update until October

Russ

Tell them you are not asking for support but are just reporting a bug. Simply refer them to this thread in the forum. I would be very interested to know if they would not accept this bug report, which is, to the best of my knowledge, the first time that anyone has been able to provide a reproducible test case for this bug that has persisted for years. Be sure to provide your complete hardware configuration.

Russ

I've had the same problem on version 6.1.126 for the past year. It has been an annoyance, but I've been following the threads on this. It sounds like you've been able to reproduce it. Let me know if I can help by sending any of my logs or system config information.