Seagate (Quantum) STT6201U USB Travan drive

I'm trying to get a Seagate (now Quantum) STT6201U USB Travan drive to be seen by Retrospect 6.1.126 (RDU 6.1.9.102) without success. Nothing shows in Configure -> Devices and in the Apple System Profiler all I see is the Freecom USB-ATAPI Controller. Quantum is pretty much useless - "connect it to a Windows machine before we can help you" - so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

I don't see it shown as a supported device:

Retrospect Supported Devices - Seagate Travan

You may be SOL if you can't see it in Apple System Profiler.

Actually, Quantum's advice is not that bad. Step one is to verify that the device can be seen on a known-supported platform. Step two would then be to get a known working device to be seen in Apple System Profiler. Step 3 would be to get a supported device that is seen in Apple System Profiler to be seen by Retrospect.

Actually, my suggestion for step 0 is to get a device that is known to be supported by Retrospect. You've got the cart before the horse.

Russ

Unfortunately, the Supported Devices page doesn't list actual model numbers for the USB Travan drives so I'm not 100% sure. Its a USB 20/40 GB drive so I'm thinking this is the "Seagate USB 2.0 Travan 40 (TR-7)" drive listed as Qualified on that web page.

This particular drive is a factory refurb to replace a unit that stopped working. The original drive was working fine under Mac OS 9 and Retrospect (pre-EMC but not sure the exact version number). Unfortunately, the end-user (not me -- I'm just the consultant called in to make it work after the fact) didn't really push the defective drive until after the OS X upgrade was in progress so I can't even test this drive under OS 9 to see that they didn't get a non-functional refurb.

Quote:

MY SEAGATE DRIVE IS RECOGNIZED BY RETROSPECT BUT IT WONT BACK UP BECAUSE IT KEEPS SAYING DRIVE IS BUSY.

THIS IS THE ONLY APPLICATION OPEN.PLEASE HELP,NEED TO BACK MY COMPUTER UP BEFORE MY SESSION

Obviously you seem to believe that your request is more urgent than any other one by other people because you have typed it in ALL CAPS. That's not productive.

(1) You have not provided any configuration information whatsoever, so it's not possible for anyone to help you.

(2) Your post doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original poster's question in this thread, so it's doubtful that anyone will provide you help in this thread.

(3) You are wrong that "THIS IS THE ONLY APPLICATION OPEN." I suggest that you open Terminal, make a nice wide window, and type the command:

Code:

ps axl

to see the tens of applications that are running on your computer. This may or may not be relevant information.

I suggest starting a new thread with the caps lock off, and post configuration information about your configuration. At a minimum, you need to provide, in that new thread (not here):

(a) Your Mac OS version

(B) Your computer hardware model

© How your Seagate drive is connected to your computer (internal, external, firewire, USB, SCSI card ?)

(d) What model is your Seagate drive? Tape or disk drive?

(e) Retrospect version

(f) Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) version

(g) what you are trying to do for your backup:

Is this a file backup? Removable media backup? Did it work before and has now stopped working? If so, what changed?

Did you force quit Retrospect or did it quit abnormally on a previous run? Have you tried rebooting your computer?

Russ

Quote:

i apologize about the capital letters.i didnt mean anything by it,and turn it on and forget its on. can you pleases tell me how to post a new topic so i wont disturb this one. sorry again

At the proper Forum topic level (e.g., "Device and Hardware Compatibility - Mac OS X"), click the "Post" icon near the top of the page.

Here's the forum introduction on how to use the forums:

How to use the forums

And welcome to the forums.

Russ