Windows 2003 SP2

Over the weekend we installed Windows 2003 Service Pack 2 on our Retrospect Server host.

+ $[15]Retrospect$[16] version 7.5.370

Launched at 4/2/2007 7:23 AM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.10.104

Exit at 4/2/2007 7:24 AM

Now every time I launch Retrospect it appears to render the screen as if it's loading, and the freezes.

See:

retro_crash.jpg

If I delete the config75.dat and .bak files, and launch Retrospect it will start properly. I then enter my access codes, and arrive at the proper Activity Monitor screen. If I quit Retrospect and relaunch, it freezes on launch again.

Help?

- Al

• 2 months later...

The Service Pack upgrade is changing the permissions on our configuration folder to “Everyone: Full Control”

Resolution:

Change permissions on C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect:

1. Remove Everyone

2. Add Administrators: Full Control

3. Add SYSTEM: Full Control

This should allow access Retrospect via Remote Desktop again. To be clear, this is a Microsoft bug. A service pack upgrade should not change the permissions on our folder.

Amy

I'm not sure what's going on. SP2 may be altering permissions on or in the Retrospect folder, but I don't see how it could trigger such odd behavior. On my end, resetting the permissions on this directory and what's in it didn't make any difference.

OTOH, setting RDC to login to the console allows Retrospect to work (and apparently regardless of the permissions). cool.gif