Why Does iMac MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846 SuperDrive Have To Be Configured?

I would think if you buy a Macintosh version of Restrospect 6.1 that it would have a RDU for the iMac MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846 SuperDrive. Yet I had to create a custom configuration. I've backed up once now, and it seemed to write to the drive okay. I wondered if configuring the drive was customary.

Quote:

I would think if you buy a Macintosh version of Restrospect 6.1 that it would have a RDU for the iMac MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846 SuperDrive.

It does. The UJ-846 is a supported drive on the Macintosh.:

Retrospect Supported Devices - UJ-846

Did you search the Supported Devices list before trying to configure?

Quote:

Yet I had to create a custom configuration.

That should not have been necessary.

Quote:

I've backed up once now, and it seemed to write to the drive okay. I wondered if configuring the drive was customary.

Not for a supported device.

What version of Retrospect and RDU do you have? You don't say.

What model of Macintosh computer do you have? You only say that it's an iMac, not whether Intel or PPC.

What Mac OS version do you have? You don't say.

The supported devices list says that at least Retrospect 6.1 is required (current version is 6.1.126 for PowerPC Macs and Intel Macs with Mac OS 10.4.9; 6.1.131 for Intel Macs on Mac OS 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 with ACLs turned on). Current RDU is 6.1.9.102. The Intel Mac patched hack for ACL use is here:

Retrospect hack for ACLs on Intel 10.4.7 or 10.4.8

Free Retrospect updates are here:

Retrospect Updates

If you install the RDU, then drag your /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ .rdi file (from your custom configuration) to the desktop to allow the RDU to be used.

Hope this helps,

russ

Thanks Russ. I did as you suggested.

I did not find a custome .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ .rdi file (from your custom configuration) to the desktop to allow the RDU to be used.

I copied the downloaded RDU into the Retrospect application folder. Now when I look in the Devices it shows a Panasonic drive (Version 5.12). The EMC link about the RDU indicates that DVD-RW media is not supported. That's what I have. Do I need to buy DVD+RW media?