Error -523 (service transaction error)

I've recently been finding Exchange 2003 failing to back up on our network so have initiated an uninstall > reinstall of the client (V. 7.5.116) to try and fix the issue.

Now, as our Exchange server is used all night and day I'm not in a position to try and clear this with a reboot, so I'm hoping there is an alternative!

As I reinstalled the client from scratch I have had to add the new client back into the list of Client in Retrospect. Merely adding the client caused Retrospect to freeze. Once I crashed out of Retrospect and looked in my clients list the new client was there, although it again crashed whenever I try to view the volumes with "Can't track volumes, error -523 (service transaction error)!

This isn't great news. Has anyone else had this issue and is a reboot the ONLY option open to me from here?

Rich

Fixed this now. It looks like an exe in the Process list (Windows 2003) had frozen and wouldn't unload. I cleaned the registry down and reinstalled Retrospect but it complained about a 'key' issue, so did the process again using a different password which seemed to have done the trick.

Rich

Thanks for the update.

For future reference, can you be more clear on the "key" issue you are describing? Retrospect does not use that term anywhere in the program. Also, where did you use a different password?

On install you must enter a user name/password that administrative rights - is this what you were referring to?

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry Amy, I didn't see your questions here - as it happens I'm back again with another problem (which is now given on random accounts the same error).

The password I was referring to is the one you enter to set up the client, so you can securely add it to the Retrospect client list. I guess something was being held after the uninstall which caused problems when Retrospect Client was reinstalled.

By key I was referring to registry keys, although don't recall any details now - doh. It was possibly a key containing this password?

Rich

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...