Does Retrospect split lage files across media?

Ravilious

Hello

I posted a question earlier about backing up large files. Can anyone tell me when retrospect runs out of space on the current backup up media, on new unused media being inserted does retropect just finish off where it left off or does it effectively start over with the last file it was trying to copy. This is of interest as I am talking about files typicaly 30G in size.

Retrospect 6.5 onto Sony AIT tape.

Thanks

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Retrospect continues the backup on the new media or new medias. My greatest file was a vmware virtual disk with over 30 GB and I made a backup from the Retrospect Client over WLAN without any problem!

You can use the MD5-Checksum generating, so you don't must insert the medias for two times, one for backup and the other for verify, because Retrospect check every media directly at its end.

I think the OP is asking whether a single file is spanned across media - not whether the entire backup is spanned across media.

While the OP is concerned about what happens to large files, the question is probably independent of whether it's a large file or not.

If I've got it right, the OP is concerned about a large file [say 500MB] but there's only 200MB left on the current media. Does Retro put 200MB on the current media and 300MB on the new media?

• 2 weeks later...