slow duplicating over LAN

jpcarson

I have a home network and have created scripts to both back-up and duplicate some hard drives to a NAS (network additional storage) devise. The LAN speed is rated at 100 MBps. It is taking literally days to duplicate the hard drives, even when using "only replace if newer." The retrospect activity monitor indicates a speed of about 0.1 MB transfer speed.

Back-ups do not take as long.

Any ideas about what may be causing such a slow down? I am not aware of other network problems, but I am not a power user. We do share files and share printers over the network and we have Norton Internet Security on all the computers.

• Like 1

Quote:

Any ideas about what may be causing such a slow down?

(1) Do you have comparison times using the same duplicate scripts to a local drive?

That would take the network and NAS out of the equation.

(2) Do you have comparison times using the same duplicate scripts to a shared folder on another computer?

That would take the NAS out of the equation.

(3) Do you have comparison times doing copies with another program other than Retrospect to the NAS?

That would take Retrospect out of the equation.

(4) Have you investigated tuning parameters on the NAS such as cache sizes, etc.? Some low-end NAS devices are geared for storage but not for speed.

(5) Is your LAN a switched 100BaseT or is everything plugged in to a hub?

(6) Have you looked at network parameters (dropped packets, retransmissions, etc.) on the NAS and on your local computer running Retrospect?

Just some thoughts that might point you in the direction of the bottleneck.

Russ