Retrospect 7.5 multi server on windows 2003 not auto starting

Forgive me if this is a "dumb" question, but I am new to retrospect

we have a multi server 7.5.370 installation running on a 64 bit windows 2003 server. I don't know how long it has been running - I'm new here

Jobs (scripts -actual backup events - whatever they are called) will not start UNLESS you have the server logged in AND the console running (the retrospect application)

I checked under preferences, execution, startup, and it has the following settings:

(check) enable retrospect launcher service

(check) automatically launch retrospect

(radio button selected) stay in retrospect

(check) show taskbar icon

so to me it looks like the backups should run, even if there is no-one logged into the server - but this does not appear to be the case. Any help would be appreciated, as this is obviously not a great way to run for us.

that caused it to start - but I have a couple of more questions now...

when no one is logged in on the server, it runs, which is good. However, once logged in, I launched the retrospect console to check the status of the backup - and it stopped the current script... ?

is this the way it is supposed to work? Maybe there is a configuration option that I should have different?

if this is 'correct' is there a way to monitor a processing backup that is running in this way?

sorry for all the questions, I'm still trying to figure this whole product out...

and thanks!

Pretty clumsy, hunh.

With Retrospect, the closest you can get to what you've come to expect from other enterprise backup products you've probably used is to turn on "Run Retrospect in the Terminal Services session" in Preferences/Security, underneath where you entered the credentials. If you then log on under the account you specified locally or by RDP, you can see the UI without interrupting the job.

>>when no one is logged in on the server, it runs, which is good. However, once logged in, I launched the retrospect console to check the status of the backup - and it stopped the current script... ?

If Retrospect is running as USER X it cannot launch a second instance under USER Y. In addition to Jeff's suggestion, you could also login locally to the server as the user you've specified in the Retrospect security preferences.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I just had a discussion about this and.... smirk.gif

Quote:

If you then log on under the account you specified locally or by RDP, you can see the UI without interrupting the job.

That's only if if Retrospect had launched in the RDC. If it starts in the console, then there is no way to see it in the RDC (or vice versa), and if it's set to start on the computer's launch, you won't get to see it in RDC unless you launch RDC the moment the computer has finished booting. And then I'm not sure if it ever launches in the RDC on its own.