Quote:

I wasn't sure if the issue had been resolved privately, and if that solution might have some bearing on my problem.

Thanks for the feedback that you were able to solve your problem. That feedback will help others when they search these forums.

I don't know about Dave, but I don't solve this forum's problems privately. That doesn't help the others with the same problems. And, as often happens, when the original posters never report back when their problem is solved, we never know for sure (as you found out when reading this thread).

You are to be commended for searching first to see if your issue had been addressed. You'd be surprised how rarely that happens.

As for the next time you post, remember that we consider each post afresh. We don't know your configuration, and it's hard to tell what bit of information will be significant. Useful information for the first post is:

Your complete hardware configuration (and processor architecture),

Your complete software configuration (OS, application version, updates),

firmware versions (very important on things like tape drives, autoloaders),

What you are trying to do, and what steps you have taken to troubleshoot,

results observed.

Here's a pretty good web page on how to ask questions in a technical help forum:

How to ask questions the smart way

Walter Reed, when he worked at Dantz/EMC, used to recommend this page often. I miss him.

Russ

I'm having a similar problem regarding the 2 GB limit. I just bought a "My Book" 500GB drive to back up my home computer. I installed the Retrospect Express software and tried to back up my iMac. After the software did its scan it gave me a message saying it could not complete the back up and to check the log for why. Here's what the log has down:

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 10/16/2007 6:51 AM

To backup set Backup Set A…

* Resolved container Local Desktop container to 2 volumes:

Macintosh HD

My Book

- 10/16/2007 6:51:45 AM: Copying Macintosh HD…

Can't add that much data to backup set.

The limit is 2.0 G.

10/16/2007 7:15:15 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 752312 files, 75.1 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:23:30 (00:23:12 idle/loading/preparing)

I've tried again, this time with a Backup Set B as the file for where to save it on the "My Book" and got the same message.

Any ideas on how to increase my limit?

Thanks,

Stew

Quote:

I'm having a similar problem regarding the 2 GB limit

Given that you believe your issue to be similar, did you already take the advice provided to the original poster?

Can you tell us what you have already checked/tried/attempted/considered in regards to a solution? Hint: there was discussion regarding disk formatting; did you check yours?

* Resolved container Local Desktop container to 2 volumes:

Macintosh HD

My Book

This sounds as if you're using the location to which you are saving your File Backup Set as a Source in that same backup. So unless you are keeping data on the My Book _in addition to_ your backup, you shouldn't do that.

Just select your Macintosh HD as your Source volume, instead of using the Desktop container.

Dave

I looked over the other postings and they looked a lot more involved than what my situation is. So, yes, I did review them, but honestly it didn't make a lot of sense to me. By the sound of it, it sounded like someone was asking for help in helping customers (e.g. "t's happening to another client of ours now."). I just purchased the "My Book" and I was able to view the files on it, and install the retrospective software that was on the drive to my imac. I would think going to reformating at this stage would be a little extreme. All I saw on that was jday saying he was going to try reformatting and then he came back with it works. So, I didn't see any think on "checking formatting." I mean, how does one go about "checking formating?"

As far as what I have tried, I've tried looking for somewhere where I can increase a backup from 2GBs to something higher, but I didn't see that option.

As for where I'm saving my backup files, I really don't get what you're saying: "...saving your File Backup Set as a Source in the same backup." ??? I'm trying to save what's on my imac (File Backup Set?) to the "My Book" external hard drive. Under Immediate Backup there's "Sources" and next to that is "Macintosh HD"; below that is Destination and for that I have "Back up Set A" listed. But it won't back my imac up because there's a 2GB limit.

Quote:

I mean, how does one go about "checking formating?"

click once on the disk's icon on the desktop, do a "Get Info" (Command I), observe "Format".

Quote:

As for where I'm saving my backup files, I really don't get what you're saying: "...saving your File Backup Set as a Source in the same backup." ??? I'm trying to save what's on my imac (File Backup Set?) to the "My Book" external hard drive. Under Immediate Backup there's "Sources" and next to that is "Macintosh HD"; below that is Destination and for that I have "Back up Set A" listed. But it won't back my imac up because there's a 2GB limit.

One of the reasons that you are confused is that you have posted in the wrong forum. This forum is for Retrospect Desktop, Workgroup, and Server (see the forum title). You indicate that you have Retrospect Express, which is a different program with different choices. The advice that people are giving you is for Retrospect Desktop, Workgroup, and Server. I suggest that you might get better help if you posted in the right forum.

Russ

Thanks. I went to get info, but there was nothing about "Format." There's Spotlight Comments, General (Kind, Size, Where, Created, Modified, Version), More Info (Last Opened), Name & Extension, Preview, Languages, & Ownership & Permissions info, but I did not see "Format."

Sorry about coming to the wrong forum. I saw the 2 GB thread on the page http://forums.dantz.com page and thought since that's the problem I'm having I'll see if I can find some help.

Thanks for pointing this out.

> I went to get info, but there was nothing about "Format."

Yes, there is. Under the General section, it lists, in order:

Kind:

Created:

Modified:

Format:

Capacity:

Available:

Used:

Quote:

I really don't get what you're saying: "...saving your File Backup Set as a Source in the same backup." ??? I'm trying to save what's on my imac (File Backup Set?) to the "My Book" external hard drive.

You're using the volume on which you are saving your backup data as a Source in that same backup.

This means that not only are you attempting to save the contents of your iMac to a File Backup Set stored on the external drive (good), you are also attempting to save the contents of your external drive to a File Backup Set stored on that same external drive (bad).

Retrospect is smart enough not to try and backup its own files (foo and foo.cat) to itself (which would cause a tear in the fabric of space/time and distroy all life as we know it), but in general you don't want to back data up to the same physical media.

> I would think going to reformating at this stage would be a little extreme.

If the drive is formatted in a manner that has a 2 GB limit then there would be no other solution to your problem.