Retrospect 6.1.126

All of a sudden, we are getting an error message that reads:

Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 2.0 G.

This is just a backup from one directly connected, Mac OS Extended Firewire drive to another, directly connected Mac OS Extended Firewire drive. No appleshare, no win formatted drives. This happened all of a sudden, had been working great until now.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for any help regarding this.

• 1 month later...

Just to reiterate, it's a Mac running 10.4.9, attempting to back up to an HFS+ drive. I am merely attempting a recycle to that drive and I am getting the 2 gb limit error all of a sudden.

Thank you for any help.

Device Access version 1.0.107

Driver Update Version 6.1.10.100

Quote:

attempting to back up to an HFS+ drive.

are you sure about that? Get Info on the drive shows Mac OS Extended ?

If you are certain that it happened with the install of RDU 6.1.10.100, you might try a regression test using RDU 6.1.9.102. Of course you have a backup copy, don't you?

Well, anyway, the older versions are available here:

Retrospect RDU Release Notes

A regression test with the older RDU would be helpful if, in fact, the drive is Mac OS Extended (HFS+).

Russ

Get info shows "Mac OS Extended" on the backup drive. Checked that first... And I installed the update to help fix, but it didn't. And remember, this just started happening. The drive format hasn't changed, the client list hasn't changed, etc...

BUT, I did find that if I moved the local machine's backup to the top it will complete them even if it's over 2 GBs, it's seems to be just the remote clients... interesting...

Quote:

This is just a backup from one directly connected, Mac OS Extended Firewire drive to another, directly connected Mac OS Extended Firewire drive.

Retrospect doeesn't backup to a drive, Retrospect backups to a Destination Backup Set.

So while the data might indeed be copied to a hard drive, knowing what Type of Backup Set you are using is relevant information.

Same thing for Recycling; it's done to Backup Sets, not to drives.

> Same exact setup

Could you describe the setup please? Exactly?

> I did find that if I moved the local machine's backup to the top

> it will complete them even if it's over 2 GBs...

Please describe this more clearly. You change the order of the items in your Source, and the results are different? What exactly do you change? What exactly are the new results?

Yes, the Backup Set is on the external, Firewire hard drive in question. I apologize as I thought that was assumed.

Yes, I moved the local machine's backup in the Source list to the top, just to test if it didn't give the error when it backed up from the local machine and it completed over 10 GBs of data without issue. When it gets to the first backup client, then I get the 2.0 limit error. I have tried other backup clients (remotely connected Macs, over ethernet, nothing special for a network, Retrospect sees and recognizes the clients) that also fail. I exactly changed the Source order by clicking and dragging the local source item to the top of the list, the running the script.

Nothing has been changed network wise, everything else is running great.

Dave asked:

Quote:

So while the data might indeed be copied to a hard drive, knowing what Type of Backup Set you are using is relevant information.

You answered:

Quote:

Yes, the Backup Set is on the external, Firewire hard drive in question.

Again, because it might be relevant, what type of backup set is this? File? Removable Disk?

Might be important.

FYI, we aren't seeing this limit on a tape backup set with RDU 6.1.10.100 (and have never seen it on any prior RDU). We also don't have File or Removable Disk backup sets. It would be interesting to know if the problem repeats with RDU 6.1.9.102, and what type of backup set you have.

Russ

• 5 months later...

Was the issue in this thread ever resolved? I am having the same sort of error with a FW drive (G-tech 500G G-Drive), plus lots of performance issues with Restrospect. I am using Retrospect 6.1.126 on a G5 iMac, with RDU 6.1.12.101.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

Was the issue in this thread ever resolved?

As can been seen, the original poster never came back with an update.

Probably 'cause Russ and I are such meenies!

> I am having the same sort of error...

As can also be seen, having a complete, accurate and detailed descriptio of exactly what you are doing, and what you see when you do it, is the first step from getting helpful answers here. The "same sort of" answer that works for one user may not be what another user needs.

Dave

Note that, on the minimal facts you have provided, you CANNOT be having "the same sort of error" that the original poster had because he reported that he was only seeing the issue with backups of remote networked clients:

Quote:

BUT, I did find that if I moved the local machine's backup to the top it will complete them even if it's over 2 GBs, it's seems to be just the remote clients... interesting...

Are you only seeing this on your remote networked clients? How many remote networked clients do you have so that we can make sure that you are seeing "the same sort of error"?

And some configuration facts would be nice. See the questions that were asked of the original poster for a hint of what information would be helpful.

Russ

Dave/Russ,

Thanks for the quick response... here are the gory details and timeline...

Initially:

G5 iMac running Retrospect 6.1.126 RDU ??? (backup file is lost, but installed Retrospect in October 2005, and hadn't updated RDU)

LaCie Bigger 1TB external disk (over FW400)

2 network clients (MacBook Pro, dual G5 Mac) running client 6.1.130

nightly backups

=> this setup worked just fine until the LaCie died, and I bought 2 500G G-tech G-drives to take its place. these new drives are formatted as MacOS Extended (journaled)

I daisy-chained the G-drives to use only a single FW port on the iMac. First use after installing the drives resulted in spinning "beachballs"... apparently due to another FW device (an audio interface). After disconnecting the other FW device, Retrospect appeared to work, but would intermittently hang - this would be accompanied by (or caused by?) not being able to access the 2nd G-drive (the one at the end of the daisy-chain). I then changed the configuration so each G-drive was plugged directly into the iMac (no daisy-chaining). Using this setup, I was able to get the iMac backup to run once (direct backup, not networked). Every backup attempt after that gives me the 2 GB limit error, whether direct or networked - and, interestingly, whether the amount being backed-up is greater or less than 2 GB.

Any thoughts? Let me know if you need additional details.

Thanks,

-John

Quote:

here are the gory details

Gory perhaps. But still incomplete.

The most basic question here is, what Type of Backup Set are you using?

All the details about FireWire problems are unrelated to Retrospect, and simply muddy the waters you're trying to drink. If the drives are unhappy on the bus, Retrospect will be unhappy too.

> Using this setup, I was able to get the iMac backup to run once (direct backup, not networked).

This would be a good place for you to start. Describe exactly what "this setup" is, paying particular note that Retrospect uses "Source" and "Destination" as terms for use.

If I understand correctly, you are seeing this on the G5 iMac running Retrospect and backing itself up to the G-drives, and the networked clients aren't involved. Sounds to me like Firewire controller issues with the G-drives. Have you tried using a powered Firewire hub? Perhaps there are Firewire power issues.

I also don't see where you have stated the type of backup set. Are these "removable disk backup sets" (so that you can span disks)?

It might be interesting (but painful) to try reformatting one of the drives using Disk Utility (to make sure you've got a good setup), using it only, and seeing if the error repeats.

That's about the only things I can suggest.

Russ

Dave/Russ,

Thanks again for your help...

The backup sets I am using are all file backup sets, with separate catalog files. The sources I am using are either the whole drive (for the iMac), or a selected set of folders (for the 2 network clients). The destinations are all files on the two G-drives. I have two backup sets for each computer (A and B, where A executes on day 1, B on day 2, A again on day 3, etc.) All of the 'A' backup sets are on one G-drive, all the 'B' backup sets are on the other G-drive. I am not sure why the direct backup (of the iMac) worked the first time (which was the backup to backup set A for the iMac), because shortly after that I ran the 'B' script for the iMac, and got the 2.0 G limit error. The other scripts which run after that, whether direct from iMac source to the file on the G-drive, or from a network client to a file on the G-drive, give me the 2.0 G limit error. UPDATE: only writes to the 'B' G-drive result in the 2.0 G limit error. I'm going to try reformatting that disk, and then trying writing to it again.

The G-drives have independent power supplies - I'm not relying on the FW bus to power them. So I haven't tried a hub, but maybe I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,

-John

Dave,

Yes, that did it!! Odd that the disk was reporting the same formatting (Mac OS Extended) both before and after the re-format, but obviously something changed...

Thanks to you and Russ for your help in getting this resolved - I really appreciate it.

-John

John,

Understand that I'm not trying to be critical here, just to offer some constructive advice.

Often Dave and I seem rude to posters in these forums. I've even been called a sociopath by one poster (Robin Mayoff removed that post, not at my request, but I saw it). All we are trying to do is to help people. Neither of us get paid for this. I don't know about Dave's motivation, but mine has been to keep the Retrospect community alive in the hope that EMC will eventually assign someone to the product to do some maintenance programming and fix the problems. My hope is that we are able to free up some support time that can be used for QA of a mythical vaporous future release that has never materialized over the past few years. Sadly, the effect seems to have been that the support people are canned or leave, and the product has stagnated.

Look back at your original post, in which you said you had "I am having the same sort of error" as the original poster. Your problem had nothing at all to do with his issues. No similarity whatsoever. We see a lot of these "me too" posts, without any details whatsoever that would help diagnose and solve the problem, and that's why we responded as we did. Sometimes we get frustrated, asking the same questions again and again and never getting a meaningful response. It gets tiring trying to drag meaningful information out of people. And sometimes people even report wrong information, without intending to do so, which makes it more important that we adopt a methodical approach and not assume anything.

Just so you understand that we are only trying to help, and we are not trying to be rude.

Glad your issues were resolved.

Russ

Quote:

Yes, that did it!! Odd that the disk was reporting the same formatting (Mac OS Extended) both before and after the re-format, but obviously something changed...

You are aware that there are two variants of "Mac OS Extended", aren't you? That's the file system organization. But the disk can either have a partition table in APM format (used for PowerPC) or GPT format (used for Intel Macs), with the file system partitions themselves being in "Mac OS Extended" (a/k/a/ HFS+). Disk Utility, by default, will use the "right" format for your architecture.

The structure of the partition tables changes again slightly for Leopard (Mac OS 10.5), and some vendors are anticipating that and shipping the newer, changed format.

So there may have been hidden issues of this nature. Or the file system may have been corrupted on that disk.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for the feedback - I didn't find your (or Dave's) posts to be rude at all. I can understand how what you do can be frustrating, but without your assistance I wouldn't have even thought to try reformatting the disk, and I would have been stuck!

The reason I thought I my problem was related to the earlier poster was that the "2GB limit" error suddenly started appearing in my setup as well - I should probably have read thru the posts more carefully before blurting that I had the same problem, but given that the thread was open-ended, I wasn't sure if the issue had been resolved privately, and if that solution might have some bearing on my problem. I guess I should have said "I am have the same symptom", without implying that the cause was the same. I'll keep that in mind the next time I post to a forum like this.

Thanks again for you help. I'm very glad you are here, but I hope I don't have to call on your expertise again... smile.gif

-John