Windows Vista and Restrospec 7.5

pjhutch500

I have updated from Windows XP Pro to Window Vista Home Premium and from Retrospec 6.5 to Retrospec 7.5. Retrospec 6.5 has worked fine with my DVD-RW drive. Now I cannot get Retrospec to 'see' my optical drives:

Samsung DVD-ROM

Benq DVD-RW/DVD-R DW1650

In devices, it displays the following:

Environment.

Devices visible using NT Passthrough ...

0:0:0 HDS72251 5VLAT20. V340

0:1:0 Iomega ZIP 100 03.H

1:0:0 ••••••••• ••••••••• •••••

1:1:0 ••••••••• ••••••••• •••••

It shows dots instead of drives. I have updated the motherboard drivers, installed wnaspi.dll for ASPI

access, tried the Ignore ID/Don't Ignore ID method, set preferences to use ASPI and nothing works.

How do I get retrospec to recognise my DVD drives?

Email: pjhutch@pcguru.plus.com

An update:

I now have a dual boot system with XP Pro SP2. I installed Retrospect 6.5, ran it and licensed it and it picked up all my drives and asked me to configure my Benq drive which it did. Then I installed Retrospect 7.5 and it installed it ok and picked up the old config file ok.

Now, in Vista, I installed Retrospect 6.5 and ran it and licensed it ok. It didn't pick up any drives, then I installed Retrospect 7.5, tried running it and failed due to admin priviledges, installed the 7.5 370 patch, then ran it and licensed it. It did not pick up any previous config files and clicking on Devices, only picked up devices on the first IDE channel and still ignores my DVD drives on the second channel and thus still only able to backup to HD and not DVD.

Looks like there is a bug in the Retrospec program somewhere, because it ain't me!

Would purchasing a Full license code rather than an Upgrade code make any difference?

Is this a home brewed machine? Store bought? Is it specifically compatible with Vista?

What is the make/model of the computer?

What is the make/model of the motherboard?

How do the drives show up in the Windows Device Manager in Vista? What information is provided? Does it show the make/model under DVD/CD-ROM drives?

What other CD/DVD burning programs do you have installed?

Yes, its a custom made machine, originally purchased in Dec 1999 and upgraded over the years.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, VIA KT400 chipset.

Processor: Athlon XP 2100 1.7GHz

RAM: 1GB

Disk drives

HDS722516VLAT20 ATA (Hitatchi 160GB PATA HD)

Iomega ZIP100 ATA

DVD/CD-ROM drives

BENQ DVD DD DW1650 ATA

SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-606F ATA

I have NO extra CD/DVD burning software installed (I have Nero 6 Reloaded but it is NOT installed or ever been installed on Vista).

I have fixed it, by rearranging my IDE drives and moving my BENQ to the primary IDE channel:

In devices, it now displays the following:

Environment.

Devices visible using NT Passthrough ...

0:0:0 HDS72251 5VLAT20. V340

0:1:0 BENQ DVD DD DW1650 BCDC BENQ DVD+RW - RDI (1.56)

1:1:0 Iomega ZIP 100 03.H

Why the hell, it didn't like my original setup, I'll never know.

Sorted! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I am attempting to Duplicate from a Maxtor Shared Storage (10/100 base T) to a local drive on my Vista notebook. I receive an error 1012 (feature unsupported). McAfee Security Center is configured with the net drive within a trusted zone.

If I run the duplicate with the source folder on a local device (USB drive) frown.gif no problem occurs. If I duplicate the error situation on an XT system, (i.e., network drive as source), no problem occurs.

Please advise Retrospect or McAfee settings.

I've got a similar problem as PeterH500, but I've got a Dell laptop, so I won't be rearranging any cables! My external burner is fine (the SONY), but my internal drive (TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D) has disappeared into black dots. Using two drives (as I was able to do under XP/Retrospect 6.5) made everything go smoothly. Now I'm constantly checking to see if I need to supply a new DVD.

This is what I currently see:

0:0:0 Hitachi HTS721010G9SA00• MCZO

CD:1 SONY DVD RW DRU-500A 2.0c Sony DVD RW (1.56)

I'm not even allowed to try using the "Configure Optical Drive" option.

So, is this a bug in the Retrospect Vista support, a drive that sneaked in under 6.5 but is now disallowed, or something else? Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just solved my remaining problem with backing up my Dell laptop (Vista Ultimate) with Retrospec 7.5.387 and thought others might be interested.

The problem was that one file (a printer driver downloaded from HP) wouldn't backup properly. The file executes correctly, makes the printer work and can be copied to other places on the harddrive - so I think there is nothing wrong with the file.

However, Retrospec lists a compare error whenever the backup job is run. So, I didn't know if the backup copy was any good or not. There were no other compare errors in the 100k or so files backed up.

The solution: under file properties, a new property was listed for this file - BLOCKED - that I had never seen before. There was a button labelled "Unblock" so I clicked it and the property grayed out and does not even appear on the properties list if you view it again. Now my backup job runs without any errors.