Buffer overrun detected!

cgtyoder

Running Retrospect Single Server 7.5.370, Driver Update 7.5.10.104 on Windows 2000 Server SP4.

I am getting the above error message when starting Proactive Updates in Retrospect (I have to stop them at Retrospect startup, or Retrospect immediately crashes). The error message continues:

"A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state..."

The scheduled backups are continuing to run fine, if the Proactive backup is off.

This had been happening with the previous version of 7.5, so I updated but I still have the error/crash. Any ideas what's happening here? Is there some corrupted file somewhere I should delete?

-Conrad

We are investigating the buffer overrun issues. Please post all configuration information:

Retrospect version / Client version

OS version

CPU information

Amount of memory

Amount of data being backed up

Make/model/type of backup devices in use

Type of backup script - managed vs Proactive

When does the error occur - during scanning/matching? During copy?

How much memory is in use when the error occurs?

What is the state of the pagefile?

Thanks!

Retrospect version / Client version Server: 7.5.370 Client:7.5.116

OS version: server: win 2k3 desktops: win xp

CPU information: dual core 2.8

Amount of memory: 2 gigs

Amount of data being backed up: about 100 meg on that particular client

Make/model/type of backup devices in use: Dell Optiplex GX620

Type of backup script - managed vs Proactive: Managed

When does the error occur - during scanning/matching? During copy? During copy

How much memory is in use when the error occurs? When we discovered the issue, Retrospect process was using about 1.2 gigs of ram

What is the state of the pagefile? Not sure what you're asking....

I have set up some perfmon logging on the server so I'll be able to get you more info if it happens again.

Well, I spoke too soon. Happened again in the middle of the night.

Retrospect Single Server 7.5.370, Update 7.5.10.104

Windows 2000 Server SP4, P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM

Proactive backup, backing up < 1GB at a time (the script backs up several laptops)

Backing up to "disks" on internal Seagate PATA drive

The crash has occurred at different times - when starting the proactive script, in the middle of backing up (can't tell exactly when—it was in the middle of the night and the screen wouldn't redraw to see when exactly it happened).

About 600MB in use when the error occurred, maybe?

Pagefile about 750MB - what exactly do you mean by the "state" of the pagefile?

• 2 weeks later...

Support suggested to me to downgrade to 7.5.324. This eliminated the buffer overrun error, but now I am getting assertion errors and their suggestion is to basically redo the server.

Just a warning to everyone who receives the suggestion to downgrade. Be wary as it has the potential to corrupt all of your Retrospect settings.

Downgrading Retrospect has no effect on your settings. The more likely cause is the crash which is generating assert logs.

The Buffer Overrun errors in 7.5.370 are being caused by some overly aggressive logging being written to the assert log. The assert is causing the buffer overrun. The bigger problem is that Retrospect is asserting on your system. You should check your assert logs for error information to help determine the cause of the assert. They are located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect

This is all I will say on the subject of the buffer overrun/assertion issue as not to hijack the topic: the tech on the phone said that when we downgraded, that caused an issue with the catalog, or the scripts, etc. He did not say it was caused by the whatever was going wrong *after* the downgrade.

Thanks!

I just experienced this today for the first time and thought I'd add my data to your collective:

Retrospect version / Client version - 7.5.370 / 7.5.116

OS version - Windows SBS 2003 SP2 32-bit

CPU information - Dual core Xeon 3060 2.4ghz

Amount of memory - 4GB (with PAE)

Amount of data being backed up - 5.9gb (though the crash occurred exactly between backups)

Make/model/type of backup devices in use - Dell RD1000 removable SATA (encrypted file backup)

Type of backup script - managed vs Proactive - Proactive

When does the error occur - during scanning/matching? During copy? - The only time it has happened so far was immediately after finishing a backup of the Exchange storage group.

How much memory is in use when the error occurs? approx 1.5gb

What is the state of the pagefile? - Not quite sure what you mean blush.gif

After Starting up retrospect again, it seemed like it had successfully finished the backup. However, when it began the next proactive script (backing up the mailboxes) it failed with a "Bad backup set header found" error.

Edit: the bad backup set header seems to be permanent. frown.gif I tried using Verify Media but it didn't detect any problems. I'm going to recreate the backup set and try the whole script over again.

Well, it appears it happened again last night, though it wasn't running in a terminal session so I can't say for sure (the Events tab just says "Execution terminated unexpectedly..."). This time, though, it was backing up four clients to individual file backup sets.

Hope this info helps.

Edit:

mad.gif It's still happening. This time it was during a resynchronize after a bad header error.

Also the same problem.

Retrospect version / Client version 7.5.370 -- 7.5.10.104

OS version XP sp2

CPU information AMD 4800 X2 in a Shuttle

Amount of memory 2gb

Amount of data being backed up appx 10gb

Make/model/type of backup devices in use WD 160gb ata/100 on usb, compressed

Type of backup script - managed vs Proactive proactive

When does the error occur - during scanning/matching? During copy? Copy

How much memory is in use when the error occurs? 1.1gb

What is the state of the pagefile? It isn't complaining. Set at 4gb

This began shortly after installing Roxio 9 and Logitech 3.30bt.

Assertion error is cpp-993, which was supposed to have been fixed in previous updates.

Dan

AH!

Re buffer overrun c++ etc. I checked the event logs (so soon, you say?) and found this:

Can't use Open File Backup option for RAID (C:), error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

This error coincided with the buffer overrun crash. I launched retrospect and removed some snapshots (there were four, one of them an odd "snapshot" of the volume on which the backups were stored, and not of the RAID that was being backed up). Retrospect then crashed again, same error, when grooming the backup to remove data related to the discarded snapshots.

HOWEVER, when relaunching Retrospect, it ran perfectly.

Perhaps tech support should look into the nature of the error message being popped when the crash occurs to determine whether it is the correct message?

Dan

Can't use Open File Backup option for RAID (C:), error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached) speechlessgrem1.gif