Error -645 (chunk file damaged during save) ?!

atakacs

Hello

For some reason Retrospect is complianing about the following error for the past few days

>> Scanning incomplete, error -645 (chunk file damaged during save)

I have tried to lookup this in the knowledge base but it links to a non existent page frown.gif

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26642

Any idea / suggestion welcome

This is a Win2k3 server with build 7.5.324

Regards

alex

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your pointer to the correct KB articleThanks for your pointer to the correct KB article (which isn’t that helpful to be frank…).

I have tried to uninstall Retrospect from that machine and I have trashed all catalog files. I have then re-installed a fresh copy and defined a script with exactly one small (1Mb – 10 files) local directory to backup… same problem ! The machine is otherwise behaving perfectly fine and despite multiple comprehensive checks there is absolutely nothing wrong with the file system as far as I can tell.

Is Retrospect storing information elsewhere short of it’s program directory and catalog files (i.e. how do I perform a complete reinstall) ?

The error has nothing to do with the program itself - a clean reinstall will not make a difference.

The heart of the KB article suggested storing your catalog and data on a different hard drive. What happens when you save your backup to a completely different hard drive - preferably local to rule out network issues?

• 2 months later...

Is there ANY solution to this issue yet??? I am having the same issue with one of my backup jobs. I tried recreating the catalog file. I also tried doing a "VERIFY" on the backup set. I also performed a groom on the backup set (cleared up 235.7MB!). All of those actions worked just fine. However, I am stilll getting error. Then I tried backing up to a new backup set on another drive (tried this twice, on 2 different drives). Still get the error. Also tried "forgetting" the client and adding it again. That didn't help either. Not sure what else to try. All of my other backups run normally. It's just the one client. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.