Recatalog fails: Not Enough Memory

"You are having difficult _repairing_ a File Backup Set"

OK. I missed that point. I only used Retrospect 5 and 6. In version 5 I always had my catalog files for File Backup Sets separate. I assumed as the file is called a catalog file and has a .cat extension that it would be the same as any other catalog file.

"this was not part of the program's initial design (and may never have been sanity tested or stress tested)"

So this is sounding more like a bug to me, but I take the point. Hopefully EMC will do something about it with an update. I imagine more and more people are backing up to disk and it would seem quite important that such a feature is properly tested.

The 2nd "update existing catalog file" failed with the same not enough memory error.

Executing Recatalog at 3/29/2007 3:45 PM

To backup set 2007-16-02

> Not enough memory

3/29/2007 8:48:13 PM Execution incomplete.

Completed 52552 files, 37.0 GB

Performance 124.9 MB/minute

Duration 05:02:57

Attempting a recovery appears to work and has given me more of the archive again. Maybe a 3rd attempt will finish the repair ??? The only thing that makes me wonder is that the .cat file seems to be much smaller than the original corrupt one.

770.4 MB vs 3.76 GB.

The error that I get with the original (corrupted 3.76 GB file) .cat file is:

"Couldn't open catalog 2007-16-02.cat. Error -24205 (chunk file damaged during save)

This prevents me from accessing the archive. I then rename the .cat file and chose to rebuild from scratch under the repair menu. This (as detailed above) fails every time with an "not enough memory error".

I then take this first attempted rebuild and try the "update existing catalog file". This fails with a "not enough memory error".

I then re-run the "update existing catalog file" option on the same file, which is apparently slowly pushing it along the way. On the 3rd attempt now and will post the results.

Thanks again for the comments.

James

Quote:

The error that I get with the original (corrupted 3.76 GB file) .cat file is:

{snip}

I then rename the .cat file and chose to rebuild from scratch under the repair menu.

{snip}

I then take this first attempted rebuild and try the "update existing catalog file".

- Did you first attempt to simply Repair the File Backup Set without renaming/rbuilding anything?

As you report having lots of hard drive capacity, I'd try copying the problem Backup Set (foo and foo.cat) to another drive and attempt to repair/rebuild from there. Be interesting if you get different results with different physical media.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Quote:

- Did you first attempt to simply Repair the File Backup Set without renaming/rbuilding anything?

Yes. I made a backup copy first. The repair gave me the original "not enough memory error".

My 3rd cycle of "update existing catalog file" seems to have fixed it. I can access the latest version of the archive and list the historical snapshots. However, the .cat file is much smaller than the original corrupted .cat file: 771.1 MB VS 3.76 GB.

I will make a backup of this newly fixed .cat file and the backup set to a 2nd drive for further testing. I would like to see if the repaired .cat file allows the backup set to grow.

I will also make a copy to a 3rd drive for testing the initial repair of the corrupt .cat file to try an eliminate any media issues and post back my results sometime next week.

Thanks for the comments.

James