Express HD Error/issues

Mr Hyde

(for the latest restore point of my C: drive)

6/28/2007 3:00:45 AM: Copying KPC (C:)

6/28/2007 3:57:20 AM: Snapshot stored, 84.3 MB

6/28/2007 3:57:42 AM: Comparing KPC (C:)

6/28/2007 5:01:27 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 27003 files, 21.7 GB

Performance: 428.8 MB/minute (555.6 copy, 349.2 compare)

Duration: 02:00:42 (00:17:13 idle/loading/preparing)

(i also back up files from my L: drive)

6/28/2007 5:01:39 AM: Copying DATA1 (L:)

6/28/2007 5:18:10 AM: Snapshot stored, 2,530 KB

6/28/2007 5:18:12 AM: Comparing DATA1 (L:)

6/28/2007 5:32:49 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 10264 files, 6.7 GB

Performance: 453.6 MB/minute (439.7 copy, 468.4 compare)

Duration: 00:31:09 (00:01:03 idle/loading/preparing)

(looks like a clean log file to me... but if you can tell me why retro seems to think a 'problem was detected' i'd much appreciate it! Keep in mind i'm not even doing restore points anymore but rather straight file copies via retrospect... which seem to be going fine. i just did the restore point the first day i had the new drive(s) on 6/28 but haven't made any more since. Every time i see the "problems detected" message it just makes me nervous but my copies on drive M: seem to be ok)

I should also add that at one point, since i'm not using the restore points feature anymore, I renamed the 'Retrospect Restore Points' directory on my M: drive to 'ZZZRetrospect Restore Points' hoping that if it didn't even find the directory it had created it would realize there were no restore points and kill the bogus message but alas, in the morning, there it was... "Problems were detected during each of the last 7 backups." Also note it always says the last 7 (SEVEN) backups... it never increases to 8 and so on... odd.

Thanks! Kyle

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Amy,

That is the only log because it's the only time I used the "restore point" option. From 6/29 and on i've been using the "copy files" option.

The reason for this was after talking to a friend about my new backup software (retro), i decided I would rather have a straight file copy on my external drive than a restore point from retro where i'm relying on things not getting corrupted or the 3rd party software. I recognize the benefits of the restore point option, but I prefer just having the straight copy of files that my OS can recognize without software... so with that background, I'm thinking i'm just going to delete the sole restore point via the retro GUI (since I have all the important files copied to my external drive and i'm not using the restore point option anymore).

Something tells me retro isn't handling my change of heart too well. I'll let you all know how it goes..probably tomorrow.

~Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

I also have experienced the same problem. I addition I get the following message:

Retrospect has encountered a serious error:

Assertion failure at “tstring.cpp-410”

A log of this error has been written to the file “assert_log.utx”.

I can't seem to find the above file either on my Maxtor hard drive to which I backup or in the Dantz program files folder.

I have been thinking of a)reformating my backup drive and b)subsequently reinstalling the Dantz Retrospective Express HD software that came with my Maxtor drive, but will hold off if I can get a substantive response on the forum.

Thanks in advance for your help - it is appreciated.

Best,

Steve

Well, I'm very disappointed to discover that I have paid $50 for a one-note song. You can only have one backup job; every new one replaces the old one. Plus, I find that it interferes with other programs. My fault I guess because there is nothing on the company web site to tell you what the program will and won't do for you. Should never have bought something without some details. Imagine my surprise to find out the the job I had scheduled to run at 10PM didn't run at all because I had scheduled another one to run at 4 am, and my monitor lit up the room all night.

The first test copy took 4 hours to copy just under 13GB, and I have over 140 GB that I want to copy. To do that, the program would have to run night and day and would never finish copying. What I have done is run a manual backup of folders that don't change - don't need to have them copied daily and don't want them overwritten by the next manual backup - then rename the folder and turn the program off. This is a poor excuse for a software package but I did find out from the web site that I'm stuck with it whether I use it or not - no refunds.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

I guess this issue still has not been resolved. Or, did I miss an announcement or something? I'm just checking back for the first time in a few months.

I must emphasize that I see EXACTLY THE SAME SYMPTOMS as you do.

I curse this darned program every day. The reason I upgraded to the new version is that when my backup disk got near full, the old version stopped working. The work-around I came up with is ok (explained in a previous message), but when I forget to exit the program in the morning, it always goofs something up and that reminds me to close it. This is getting bothersome, having to do it EVERY DAY. Lots of cursing at this software and this company.

Anybody have any alternate software to recommend? I have two Maxtor OneTouch II drives. I upgraded the software for one of them because I had to when it stopped working. The other drive is still ok because it isn't full. But, when it fills up, I'll be darned if I upgrade that copy to this crap software.

I think enough time has elapsed, and it is apparant that no answer or solution is forthcoming, at least not as far as you can tell from this forum. Maybe time to get more active and start telling people far and wide to avoid this company and software like the plague.

Thanks,

Bill

Retrospect Express HD utilizes the less then perfect Microsoft .Net Framework. For many users the .net framework is a resource hog and results in unusual behavior for Express HD. Unfortunately, we can not control Microsoft .net issues on individual computers (it could be memory resource problems, registry issues, conflicts with other installed software, etc). Microsoft website contains TONS of documents on troubleshooting .net. The reality is, this software works great on close to a million computers (no exaggeration). If you are having trouble using Express HD, you can upgrade to Retrospect Professional which does not use .net framework and should be much more stable for you as a user.

The upgrade even comes with an incident of technical support, so you can call for help if needed. You can contact our customer service for details on purchasing an upgrade at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

I am "closing" this thread because it contains many different posts and it is impossible to tell if users are all having the same symptoms or different symptoms. If you want help troubleshooting a specific issue. please create a new thread and clearly describe the problem you are having.