Error message on Vista "RetroExpress.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services"

I've just tried to install my Retrosepct Express HD onto a new HP Pavillion notebook with Vista but am getting the above warning message. It goes on to say:

"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0xbf0 (3056), Thread id=0x8a4 (2212)".

Attempts to debug produces another message:

"Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2 (2). Please check computer settings. cordbg.exe!a 0xbf0"

Does anybody know how to overcome this?

Quote:

Hi,

I have recently upgrade to Vista and now I am unable to use my external hard drive. I get the following message:

cordbg.exe!a0x1020

What does the hard drive company say? If you are unable to use the external hard drive, then the hard drive company should probably be contacted.

Problems using the hard drive and problems using Retrospect should not be confused. Retrospect is not required for hard disk use.

Ok...the fun continues.

I have upgraded from version 1.0 to 2.0 and have received an email containing a product registration code. I have downoaded the upgrade and entered this code when prompted, by cutting & pasting from the email. However, now when I open up RetroExpress HD (which takes an age - much longer than on my old, less powerful PC) the display reads "Unlicenced" with a link which reads "Click here to enter a new licence code...". On clicking the link a new screen appears with a message that reads, "Disk is not available. Cannot start the operation because the disc to which files are being copied is not available."

How can I licence my version 2.0 and make it open up faster?

I recently purchased Express HD 2.0, upgraded to Vista Home Premiun from XP MCE2005, and now Express HD does not allow me to click on the Setup, Restore, or On/Off buttons. Not to mention it takes forever to load, constantly says "Updating Status...", and I get a pop-up box every few minutes that says "This is the assert notification application. It is used internally by Retrospect.". Also, I found the article that states version 2.0.214 is needed to run on Vista. I have 2.0.144. When I check for updates, it says my version is up to date. Where do I get ver. 2.0.214 to see if it will work?

BTW--I've uninstalled/re-installed at least three times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if I can get the correct version to see if it works. Apparently it's out there somewhere, but I can't find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Two days ago, I started to experience the same error message:

RetroExpress.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x1594 (5524), Thread id=0x1134 (4404)

Click OK to terminate the application.

Click CANCEL to debug the application.

I am using Windows XP Professional Edition SP2. The version of Retrospect Express I'm using is also 1.0 as this is what came with my maxtor drive. The numbers in the above error message change too. The error also appears in Safe Mode.

After a very frustrating day, (and 30 minutes on the phone to Seagate) they too have sent me an email with which to upgrade the Retrospect Express software They say that it's due to the software. I've noticed this error on other forums today too so we're not the only ones experiencing this, nor is it specific to windows vista. I've also done the reinstall/uninstall merry go round a few times today without sucess. If anyone's managed to sucessfully get rid of this error, help would be much appreciated. I'll give all of the suggestions on here a go but every bit of advice helps.

Cheers,

Adamina

For what it's worth I'm no further forward on this. I'm still getting a licencing error when I open up RetroExpress. Maybe it was a faulty download or install. Perhaps it will work if I uninstall and download again (luckilly I bought extended download insurance). To be honest I've not had the time to really have a crack at this.

Smith Micro's support has been totally useless - not a single reply to my emails. I object to phoning a premium rate number. Us paying customers deserve better.

I've now also done the reinstall of the new version although I didn't have the licensing problem hammerfan has mentioned. Seagate have been close to useless. I'm now at the point of repairing windows to see if this makes a difference. In the meantime, I've used the internal windows back up program to back up all of my data to my drive for the time being. If I can't get retrospect working, then I think I'll remove it and try a third party software. Nothing else is experiencing problems so if I have to get rid of the software, so be it.

Good luck (I think we all need it).