7.5 crashing with messed up screen

asounds

The past week Retrospect has been 'crashing'. There are no errors in the logs of either Retrospect or Windows. This is on Windows 2003 R2 running Retrospect 7.5.251 Single Server. I have uninstalled/ reinstalled twice now, and it still does not work. All other programs are running just fine on this server. To get out of it, I have to end the process of both Retrospect and retrorun. Any ideas?

Thanks,

In the morning my screen looks like this.

retrospect.jpg

Any suggestions whatsoever?

I have reinstalled a 3rd time, following instructions on doing a complete uninstall. Still have the same problem everyday. It appears that I am not getting a complete backup. When I get back into Retrospect, the log says the execution was stopped by operator. No, it's because Retrospect crashed.

It was after that update that I started having this problem. I did install the update after the first reinstall, but not since. Will install now, but I doubt it will help. I have not had a chance to reboot the server lately. It's a production server and can't do much during the day. But have a chance to get to it tonight so we'll see what happens.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone a solution to this problem, because I am having the same problem. I had to reinstall the system now on 64bit version on 2003R2 and after that I started having exactly the same problem. I have to kill retrorun.exe and then everything is fine (at least for one startup).

So if someone got a solution to this problem help would be appreciate

The Service Pack upgrade is changing the permissions on our configuration folder to “Everyone: Full Control”

Resolution:

Change permissions on C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect:

1. Remove Everyone

2. Add Administrators: Full Control

3. Add SYSTEM: Full Control

To be clear, this is a Microsoft bug. A service pack upgrade should not change the permissions on our folder.

Amy

You may have to create new configuration files. Try renaming the Retrospect Docs and Settings folder (eg: Retrospect old), launching and entering your license code to see if you get your UI back. If so, you can try moving your old configuration files (retro75.bak and retro75.dat) into the new folder.

If that does not work you'll need to start with new configuration files and recreate your scripts, etc. Some users have reported the permissions change fixes the issues, while other users have reported that their configuration files were corrupted by the upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this same problem on 2003 Storage Server x64. I've tried removing everyone from the Retrospect folder and adding system and administrator with the same results. If I rename the folder and restart, the folder is recreated but the permissions are still everyone only. Retrospect will at least start once, but after that back to the same. So it would seem that permissions are not beig changed, only everyone is being applied from the start.

Please advise

Quote:

You may have to create new configuration files. Try renaming the Retrospect Docs and Settings folder (eg: Retrospect old), launching and entering your license code to see if you get your UI back. If so, you can try moving your old configuration files (retro75.bak and retro75.dat) into the new folder.

If that does not work you'll need to start with new configuration files and recreate your scripts, etc. Some users have reported the permissions change fixes the issues, while other users have reported that their configuration files were corrupted by the upgrade.

Problem seems to be directly related to MS SP2 for 2003 and Retrospect. Uninstalled SP2 and everything seems to be working OK.

Quote:

I have this same problem on 2003 Storage Server x64. I've tried removing everyone from the Retrospect folder and adding system and administrator with the same results. If I rename the folder and restart, the folder is recreated but the permissions are still everyone only. Retrospect will at least start once, but after that back to the same. So it would seem that permissions are not beig changed, only everyone is being applied from the start.

Please advise

Quote:

• 5 months later...

The only way i've gotten round this issue is to create a new user in AD and add the same groups as the built-in backup user. From within Retrospect go under Configure/Preferences and then under Execution/Security set it to "Always run Retrospect as the specified user" and type in the details of the newly created user.

This is the only way i can get passed this issue but i would really love to know the cause and more importantly how to fix it permanently!

Thanks

I've been dealing with the same issues as well and haven't had the time to troubleshoot this. Changing the users/permissions on that directory does not work. EMC tech support suggested VNC as a temporary solution and we have been doing this, however I much prefer RDC. hopefully a fix will come along for this soon.

on a side note.. it's nice to see exchange 2007 is now supported - unfortunately two months after I was forced to purchase backupexec for our exchange 2k7 cluster..

Yesterday I found out from our engineers that this a bug in 2003 that effects 32-bit applications running on 64-bit systems. Basically a specific API we use is failing. The documentation we found from Microsoft specifically says "Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products"

The bug applies to:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

• Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface

Edited by Guest
added list of effected systems