Sign in to follow this  
stuselig

Can't connect to Win98 Clients after upgrade to 7.5.370

After upgrading to 7.5.370, Retrospect can no longer connect to my Win98 client computers.

When it tries to connect, such as by clicking the "refresh" button, from Client Properties, the error message is "Client speed test failed, error -1 (unknown)". At the same time, on the client machine, an error message pops up with the title "Error Starting Program".

The messages says "The PCVLDRVR.DLL file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:ConvertStringSecurityDescriptor To SecurityDescriptorW.

I will be interested to discover the solution to this as I have experienced exactly the same problem with a windows NT4 client after upgrading.

Not a solution, but a workaround. I had the same problem when upgrading, so I changed the connection type from broadcast/multicast to direct, then entered the network name for the client, at which point it had not problem connecting.

The only workaround right now is to downgrade to 7.5.324

We do have an internal fix, so a final solution should be available soon.

Is it OK to downgrade to version 7.5.324 - without any problems? Will BackUpSets and Scripts work the way they used to do before the upgrade to 7.5.370?

Any news on this internal fix? - when do you plan to have it released? Today some customers have to choose between backing up their old Win 98 clients or backing up their new Win Vista clients.

frown.gif

This thread started 02/13/07 and two months later still no solution? And no reference to this problem on support pages? I should have known better than to blithely install a Retrospect upgrade just because it was available.

By the way Window ME clients behave just like Windows 98 clients.

"Can't access volume Archive on HPPAVILION, error -1 (unknown)" and

"Client speed test failed, error -1 (unknown)"

And where are those instructions for downgrading to previous version without destroying current backup setup?

Just upgraded my Single Server to 370 to support Vista, and now have this same problem on 3 machines, 2 Me and one 98. sowen222's workaround didn't solve the problem.

Since we have only one Vista machine and it's sort of experimental anyway, I'm reverting to 324.

Really, there should be something in the Knowledge Base about this -- I searched on the ADVAPI32 string and got 8 hits, none of which actually contained the string. Mayoff, if EMC is aware of the problem and working on a solution, why aren't you telling your customers??