Retrospect 7.5.370 and Vista - Run Retrospect as the logged-in user grayed out?

xtianp

Vista introduced Service Hardening. The Retrospect Launcher Service cannot run as a specific user any longer. The Retrospect UI and Engine will need to be separated, and this is a major project. We do plan on making these changes in a future release.

In the meantime, you can put a shortcut to Retrospect.exe in your 'Startup Items' folder which will launch Retrospect on boot. That will allow Retrospect to run in your user session when scripts run.

--

Session 0 Isolation

Services have always run in session 0. Before Windows Vista, the first user to log on was also assigned to session 0. Now, session 0 is reserved exclusively for services and other applications not associated with an interactive user session. (The first user to log on is connected to session 1, the second user to log on is connected to session 2, and so on.) Session 0 does not support processes that interact with the user.

This change means that a service cannot post or send a message to an application and an application cannot send or post a message to a service. In addition, services cannot display a user interface item such as a dialog box directly.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Vista introduced Service Hardening. The Retrospect Launcher Service cannot run as a specific user any longer. The Retrospect UI and Engine will need to be separated, and this is a
major
project. We do plan on making these changes in a future release.

In the meantime, you can put a shortcut to Retrospect.exe in your 'Startup Items' folder which will launch Retrospect on boot. That will allow Retrospect to run in your user session when scripts run.

Thanks for the response and suggestion.

1. As knoweldge of the Ring 0 issue is well over 1 year old and that you intimate it will be at least another 6+ months to recode, this suggests EMC is having trouble coding it and will have taken at least 18 months! I can only surmise there are internal staffing problems or there are project mangement resource issues with all their acquisitions. RP is small potatos in their product suite. They need a strong arm to get this problem resolved and on track. By any meaure, 18 months is unacceptable and a very serious faux pas.

2. RP will NOT auto-run in Start up - it requires user intervention. You have to be at the keyboard to approve the UAC prompt about running low level service. Thus, auto-boot systems will fail to load RP. If Windows autoupdate is enabled, then RP will fail to re-start every time there is an update.

3. EMC needs to freak out yesterday, jump up and down, give this a priority 1, create a task force, apologize to us masochistic loyalists, and issue a high level sincere statement about their remediation plans.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I left Vista months ago... Actually I was really pissed off at the time. I wrote to support and they pointed me to what was their idea of becoming able to support Vista. What the article says is -

"Using Windows Vista

Upgrading to Retrospect 7.5.387: If you have upgraded to Vista and Retrospect is already installed you will need to uninstall and then reinstall the application before using it. Uninstalling the application will not remove your preferences so you will not need to recreate your scripts.

Automated Operations: When Retrospect automatically launches on Windows Vista, the application window is hidden. If an operation is running and Retrospect is manually launched an alert is displayed warning that an operation is in progress. You are then able to close the alert and let the operation continue or stop the operation and show the Retrospect window.

Retrospect Icon: On Windows Vista Retrospect does not display the icon in the task bar.

Retrospect Backup User (RBU): The RBU is not supported on Windows Vista and you must run as the logged in user.

Disaster Recovery: Creating a bootable Vista DR CD is not supported. To restore your entire computer first install a temporary OS and then follow the instructions for restoring an entire computer in Chapter 8 of the Retrospect Users Guide.

Client limitations on Vista: Vista does not correctly display messages from the Retrospect Client (i.e. backup countdown, successful/unsuccessful backup notification, and "you have not been backed up in n days"). Messages sent from the Retrospect Client can be seen in the "Interactive Services" dialog which will allow the user to see the corresponding Client dialog. To avoid seeing the "Interactive Services" dialog set the countdown to 0 seconds and turn off the notification in the client preferences.

Windows Vista x64: This release does not support backing up and restoring the 64 bit version of Windows Vista.

Private folders on Vista Clients: To use the "Private Files/Folder/Volumes" option on Vista clients open the Client Control Panel with Administrator privileges."

Now I sure as hell do not see any improvements... All I see are things that do not function under Vista so in my opinion they did nothing, or the very least they had to..

I do not use retrospect any more... I loved the product under xp. And everyone sure as hell new the changes were coming. I guess this pretty much shows what EMC thinks about retrospects users

Link to what is printed/quoted above is:

I am a novice user of Retrospect.

I am trying to backup a Vista computer on my network. Retrospect is on my XP computer.

I am trying to make a script to do this.

I am at the point where I have identified the volume (the hard drive of my Vista computer)

In the dialog box (Enter Network Password) I filled in the "Connected As" and the Password"

But when I press "OK" I get the error message: "Can't access server using the given username and password, error - 1017 (insufficient permisions)."

On my Vista computer I have set up sharing the entire C hard drive.

Can you help me?

• 2 months later...